What's with the new trend of not opening gifts at the birthday party?

The last few parties we have gone to the birthday child took the gifts home to open their. We didn't get to see the child's reaction to the gist or anything! I hate that. I am told it's so the kids have 1 full hour to play and then 1 full hour for food and games in the party room. I mean it really sucks to not get to see the kid open the present you took all the time to pick out. :0( Anyone else feel this way or am I the odd one out.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• we went to a party like this a couple months ago... it made me want to take the gift home with me.. how do I know if he even liked it? :( made my son who picked it out feel bad too!
    jenntysmom

Answer by jenntysmom at 9:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yeah I would find that to be odd. I also like to see their reaction to the toy. :)

Maybe it makes it easier for the parents to return what they don't like and they are using the other stuff as an excuse. ;) lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 5:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Haven't been to any parties like that... But I can understand what your saying that would be disappointing! I love little kids reactions to their gifts!

mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 5:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I can see it, because of time. If it's a 2 hour party you want the kids to be able to play. It sucks to have the other kids just sit around while the birthday kid opens gifts but I suppose it's a lesson in manners.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We went to a party like this. The mom said she didn't want her daughter to focus on the gifts... but I think it's rather selfish because half the fun of giving gifts is seeing the reaction and I want DS to experience that. Ironically, the little girl had come to DS's birthday just a few months before and just couldn't wait for him to open the gift she got him. They actually left early and he opened it just before they left because she was so excited. I always have them open gifts before whoever brought the gift leaves.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I haven't had that happen yet but can understand I know at my nieces party they were really rushing the kids just to get them out of the party room

martat

Answer by martat at 5:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• wow, I am the worst typist today! I meant there.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I never went to one of those kind of parties. The kids had to wait until a certain time to open the presants but they opened them and were told who gave it to them. of course they was only worried about opening the presants. lol
    courtneyrogers

Answer by courtneyrogers at 5:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I've not been to such a party, but yeah that's kind of stupid. I love having my DD open her gifts in front of those who brought them. She can express excitement and thanks right in front of the gift giver then. PLUS- that is one of the fun parts of the birthday party for the child imo.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• They need to open the gifts at the party.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010