How do I make my 6 and 3 year old like each other.

ALL they do is bicker and fight. The younger is a girl the older a boy so I know that makes it hard. The boy even goes so far as to openly admit he hates his sister. WE try to give them equal one on one time and they have time apart since DS is in school plus the in-laws take one or the other one weekend a month. I try to get them to do activities together but they end up fighting. I try to get them to sit quietly and watch a movie together but the refuse to agree on one and one stomps off. I try to take them places together but one or the other ends up fighting with the other. This is sibling rivalry like I ahev never seen it before . What do I do before its too late!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sibs fight that is their favorite pasttime!! However, when things get bad between my 2 I make them stand at opposite ends of the room and alternately compliment each other or say something nice about the other until they meet in the middle. By the time they reach the middle we are all usually in hysterics and that changes the atmosphere. Silly I know but give it a try!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not sure what you can do, but if it makes you feel any better me and my bro had a similar relationship growing up but we are super close now!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My siblings and i were all like this as kids. It has carried over to adults. We stop speaking along time ago. Hope it gets better! YOu can't make them like each other. My mom tried many times.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I'm tempted to lock them in a room togther for a battle to the death just to put an end to it!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• They are still young. 6 and 3. You are giving them to much power. You force them to get along. You make them sit and watch a movie together. They do not have to sit together. Make one sit in one area and the other in a different area. Their are always times when all sibling act up. But at certain times. They have to act right. Like in public.

I never gave my kids a choise. You either act right or you get in trouble. Now at home I would be a little more slack about it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• wait till they are teens and can really hurt each other *sigh*

good luck hun, separate them when you can
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You can't MAKE them like each other. And at 6 and 3 - it needs time. Those are hard ages for an older brother/younger sister.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I'm sure it will get better. Maybe ask them both why they dont like each other..Work from there
    didine995

Answer by didine995 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 19, 2010