Insomnia

Do you have this and what do you do for it? Pls. only people who actually suffer from this respond, thanks.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Health

• See a sleep specialist I'd say. There are many causes of insomnia. Some people seek cognitive behavioral therapy, some find using OTC Melatonin 3 mg before bed helps. Limiting anything stimulating or bright like lights and screens(TV, Computer, gaming) can alert your brain to stay awake. Our body makes melatonin and this is stimulated when our pupils take in less light like when the sun sets and nighttime begins. I turn down lights in the house as it becomes dark outside. Others find reading before bed helps. I do not recommend looking at your clock often when you're laying in bed. Also, don't get into bed until you feel tired. I've heard many OTC sleep aides contain Benadrly or diphenhydramine(generic), which can last long like into the next morning-ugh! Good luck and best bet is to be evluated by a Doctor who specialized in sleep disturbances or disorders I think.
    Mommameeah

Answer by Mommameeah at 11:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I do. I don't do anything except try to make myself sleep when I have to. I've tried teas and over the counter sleep aids a few times. I can't afford to get a prescription (I don't have health insurance, and I'm not working right now), but I've heard that Ambien or whatever it's called works really well, but has weird side effects.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have suffered from chronic insomnia for over 15 years. I have been tested, poked proded, i have been given meds, I have tried excercise, yoga, hypnosis you name it. NOTHING works for me. NOTHING. I am sorry to say. its some weird chemical imbalance.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 6:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have had it for 18 years, my whole adult life and I have tried it all. Meds make me too sleepy during the day and sick too. I now just use Melatonin (over the counter) when I am not pregnant and its the only thing I won't get sick from but it's not 100%, nothing has really worked for me. I sleep when I can and take naps when I can otherwise I can't survive. I am also in Peri-Menopause so hormonal changes make it worse. I wish I had an easy answer but nothing works for me but trying to find any help is worth a try. Having kids also makes it harder to get a goodnight's sleep.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I take ambien CR for it. That's been the only thing that has worked. I've tried other medications, breathing exercises, etc and nothing has worked.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010