What do you mommies do when..

your toddler decides they don't want to nap and won't quietly play/read in their room?? We all need a break. Especially when you are a Mommy of a VERY active boy. My DS has decided that naps are optional this week. I talked with him and said he is welcome to read or play quietly in his room for awhile if he chooses not to nap. He far from does this...he jumps on his bed, runs around, shakes his gate, pulls on the curtains. He is too tired to really do anything outside the home. Any other Mom's having these issues? If so what do you do?

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ugh I am dealing with this too! My DD is driving me nuts about the nap thing lately.

The best solution I've come up with is to put the baby gate in her door, close the curtains so it's dark, then tell her it's resttime and Mommy's going to go rest too. Then I go out to the living room, sit down with a snack and a book, and try to tune her out. Even if she comes to the door hollering for me, I ignore her. (Use your Mommy Intuition to tell you if he's really in need or not; obviously, if he's not, then he's just being a butt like my DD! Haha :)) Sometimes I'll say it quietly one more time "It's rest time" and then go away again.

I'd say 3 days out of 7, she eventually gets tired/bored and lays down for a while. I guess that's better than 0 days out of 7! Haha. GL mama!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I THINK A CHILD NEED TO BE ON A SCHEDULE...I MAKE A POINT THAT EVERYDAY I SHOW MY KIDS THE DAILY CHART...IT HAS BK, LUNCH, DINNER, SCHOOL HRS, BATH TIMES, NAP TIME, TV TIME, HOMEWORK TIME, PLAY TIME, OUTSIDE TIME, AND EVERYTHING AND IN ORDER FOR 'EM TO GET A POWER POINT THEY NEED TO DO WHAT IS SAID...ALL KIDS LOVE GIFTS AND ALL THAT FUN THINGS MAKE IT FUN BUT MAKE IT CONSISTENT...WE ALL LIKE ON A TIME LINE THE SOONER YOU TEACH THIS TO YOUR CHILD THE BETTER IT IS...MAKE IT FUN THOUGH NOT LIKE THEY IN THE ARMY OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 5:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• First, in my home its not an option and we will not debate or beg for it to happen.

If they dont wanna nap then fine, they can play in their rooms. I dont care if they jump on their beds because they dont have bedframes so they cant hurt themselves really.

I dont worry about curtains because we have blinds and I can just put them up out of reach.

I ignore their protests and cries and other such nonsense. I let them be and dont fret about the little things. I close the door and it stays that way(no gate). If they bang and bang on walls or such then toys are taken out of the room and they are left with NOTHING to play with but their hands.

Thankfully, my children dont throw major fits and never have. They enjoy quiet time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• we've done all that...he's just grown out of it..i was an elementary school teacher before my son...so i am very intune to all those things...i'm just going through a difficult week...cross your fingers

i sooo want to ignore him..it's soo hard for me..it stresses me out...i have been more than spoiled..he usually naps 3 hours/day...I guess I'm paying my dues...
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my son gave up naps about two months ago. I cant just put him in his room because unfortunately he will just cry for the ENTIRE time he is in there. And yes i have tried to ignore him but after about 30-45 minutes its just not worth it. I have tried taking his toys away, singing to him, putting on a movie, bath time before naps, but nothing works so he just goes to bed at 9 and i get my quiet time in then now instead of during the afternoon because it is just not worth listening to him cry for that long. it doesnt help either one of us
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My DD has not had a nap time in over a year. Honestly she just plays with her toys, watches a movie, colors, etc. as the day goes on. I never had a reason to designate a quiet time for her in her bedroom.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• WELL MY BABY DOCTOR SAID TO LET THEM THROW A FIT!!! DON'T GIVE IN TO WHAT THEY WANT AND EVENTUALLY THEY'LL REALIZE THEY'RE NOT GOING TO GET THEIR WAY OR THEY'LL TIRE THEMSELVES OUT! IGNORE THEM COMPLETELY, IT'S OK THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOU A BAD MOM JUST A TOUGH SMART MOM!!!!!!!
    BabyRiley

Answer by BabyRiley at 5:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• bc19, you have to wail ti 9? you poor thing!!! mine is in bed @ 7...I guess I shoudn't be complaining...
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I havnt had that problem with my son, he actually has been napping very good and sleeping well through the nights...my suggestion to you is make sure your relaxed if you want your kid to be relaxed. Thats the only way the kid will get some rest. Read a story and make that a routine pat his back or massage.
    MillyMami

Answer by MillyMami at 8:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my dd does very well with out a nap but she is to lay on the couch for a half to a hole hour and that work she has to be quiet she can look through her book this give me time to do things around the house.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010