WHEN IS A GOOD AGE FOR A CELLPHONE

MY DAUGHTER IS EIGHT AND HAS HAD A CELLPHONE SINCE SHE WAS SEVEN AND MY FIVE WANTS ONE WHEN HE IS SEVEN I WANT TO BE FAIR BUT I THINK MY DAUGHTER WAS A MISTAKE SO HOW DO I KEEP FROM REPEATING A MISTAKE BUT STILL BE FAIR

jojomomofthree

Asked by jojomomofthree at 5:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would think 10-12 IMO
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Does he need one? Who does a 7 year old call? My 8 year old wants one, but I told him not until he is old enough to be responsible for it.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think if they are staying after school for something then they need a cell phone, until then there is no need.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• When I thinks? When they are grown. It is not a necessary thing.

Answer by louise2 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• MY 6YR OLD AND 9YR OLD BOTH HAVE PHONES PRE PAY PHONES...THERE DAD LIVES IN JERSEY SO HE THINKS ITS A GOOD IDEA FOR THEM TO HAVE A PHONE THAT WAY HE CAN TALK TO 'EM WHENEVER HE WANTS...IT DOES NOT BOTHER ME...BUT THE PHONE GETS LOST ALL THE TIME SOMEDAYS HE WILL CALL AND HAS TO END UP CALLING MY PHONE CUZ NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THE PHONE IS AT...HAHAHAHA I THINK UNDER 13YRS OLD ITS NOT WORTH IT...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 5:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Personally, I think a good age for a cellphone is when you are able to afford it on your own, and are responsible enough to pay the bill every month! That is why my daughter didn't own one until she started working in a cellphone store at 22, and my son won't be getting one for a very long time if at all.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 16+
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 9:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Like 13 - 16. Depending on the kid.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:21 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• For my kid, when he's old enough to pay for it himself. But at the same time if you do something for one its just not right to not do it for the other.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• my kids can have a phone when they start driving. it seems ridiculous to me to get a small child a cell phone.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 3:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2010