Can infertility caused by weight gain or obesity be reversed by weight loss?

I read an article that says weight gain/ obesity / a poor diet is the leading cause for secondary infertility. I have also heard that eating a diet high in fat affects your eggs and possibly can keep them from turning into embryos. If someone were to lose weight, would that reverse their infertility?

iluvpink0701

Asked by iluvpink0701 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• I have heard from several doctors, including my sisters OB, that in order for a woman who is obese, she does need to lower her weight. The extra weight can hinder your eggs growth and even throw off your cycles.
    Rose87

Answer by Rose87 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Yes,it can i got pregnant so easy after my weightloss and giving my body time to adjust to the weight changes.
    When i was heavy it took years and it was a fertility specialist that said simply do this.
    Have three kids now.
    Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

• Thank you! I am not obese, but in the "overweight" category according to my BMI. I do not want this to affect my fertility, and I have heard it can. But I couldn't find an answer as to whether it was temporary, or possible to reverse. Thank you!
    iluvpink0701

Answer by iluvpink0701 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Yes, I know from experience. I lost 80 pounds and after I dropped the weight I had gotten preggers with my son.
    NitaNae

Answer by NitaNae at 11:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• It affects some women but not all. I was aobut 100 pounds overweight and I concieved and had a perfectly healthy pregnancy/
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yes, definitely. Even though it's not impossible to conceive overweight. Like the grrl before, I was very much over weight and conceived.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 6:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2008