SHOULD WOMEN WORK IF MEN CAN PROVIDE

MY HUSBAND USALLY A GOOD PROVIDER ALTHOUGH WE HAVE HAD A SHARE OF HARDSHIP BUT IM LISCENSE PHARMAC TECH AND PHOTO TOO AND RECENTLY WHILE PREGNANT I DID DAYCARE CAUSE I FIND IT HARD TO BE A STAY AT HOME MOM GOT TO DO SOMETHING HE IS FIGHTING ME ON WORK WHAT SHOULD I DO I WANT TO BACK FOR MY RN WHICH WAS MY ORIGINAL INTENTIONS AFTER OUR NEW BABY IS A YEAR AND HE DNT WNT ME TO OR EVEN RESUME DAYCARE HE SAYS I HAVE ENOUGH WITH THREE KIDS AND A HOUSE BUT I WAT TO WORK

jojomomofthree

Asked by jojomomofthree at 6:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I work and I don't have to.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 6:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Ow! My eyes!

You have to do what you're comfortable with. Period end of story. Maybe you can get something part time in one of your fields?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• compromise. my husband doesnt want me to work but if we cant make ends meet with just him working i'll take up a part time job. and if i want to work he is not going to tell me i cant.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• A woman should work if that is her wish. wether or not the man can provide. haivng chidlren isnt the end all and be all of every woman's existance. and there is NOTHING wrong with wanting to have a job, further education etc. I would approach him with logic. work out a PLAN on how you can make sure the kids and home front are covered yet still achieve YOUR personal goals as well. Men understand LOGIC much better than emotion.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 6:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• if you can compromise..there's nothing wrong with planning for the future, either. having your RN will secure you in finding employment, as will your pharm. tech license (keep it and your CE-classes/hours up!), in the event he isn't providing for the family. there are no guarantees in life, and i would want something to be readily available, in case he is not in the picture.

my dh is the head-pharmacist and part-owner of a pharmacy, and he thinks good pharm. techs are the most valuable asset to a working/profitable pharmacy. i'm with you...if you want to work, and BOTH of you can make it happen with the children/caring, then do something!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If I were you, I would insist on going back to school anyway, and when you were done with that, work at least part time....it is not good for a woman not to have a way to provide for herself and her children just in case something happens to her husband and she finds herself alone in the world.....If it were me, I would take that approach when talking to my husband, and then I would let him know that the final decision is mine and not his, but I would do that as gently and as diplomatically as possible.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Maybe your husband feels like he's not providing if you go back to work. I would just explain to him that this is something you want to do for you. I don't think that every woman was made to be a SAHM. If you want a career as well sit down with him- without arguing and explain that you like being a mom, but you also want to work.

Good luck :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If they choose to. Personally, I was a SAHM and if I can help it, once I have this baby I never will be again. The issue isn't whether or not my DH CAN or DOES provide enough income, it's simply if I have to be home full time with three kids and no adult contact I'm going to go completely insane! I don't know why being a mom is supposed to equal prison time - if she wants to work, why not?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If you want to work, you have a right to... Find the balance.. Can you take up a PT job & be happy? Or do you need a 40hr week to feel good?
    What are your reasons for wanting to work/not sahm?
    How does you working effect your home life (does it stay kept up to your liking? do you still cook good meals for the family? how does it effect your childs behavior? How does working/not working effect your emotion health? Your relationship? )

When you are married- with kids.. Its not all about you anymore.. You do have to think of the family as whole.. But at the same time you cannot lose yourself totally.. If momma aint happy aint nobody happy! ... Its all about balance...

Good Luck in finding a good medium so everyone is happy...
    Like the song "Meet in the Middle" by Diamond Rio: I start walkin' you way, you start walking mine. We gain alot of ground cause we both give a lil' aint no road to long when we meet in the middle.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Communicate your needs and desires and together discuss what works best for your family. Seems like you are career driven.
    socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2010