do you think it makes someone a hypocrite if

they had one set of beliefs/ideals then changed their minds to a new set that is completely different that the ones they previously had?

HaydensMommy007

Asked by HaydensMommy007 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• maybe we can say suddenly open-minded instead of a hypocrite ??? lol or newly educated ??? not sure what changed your beliefs, but i prefer whatever positive spin i can put on things....i think a hypocrite is someone who does something other than what they preach and believe....but if those beliefs change, there must be a reason, whether its new information, newly educated, open minded to see a different perspective, etc....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not if they have truly come to a new understanding. People can learn, grow and change all the time as they mature, so accepting a new set of beliefs, even if very different from their previous ways, is plausible, even possible.

A hypocrite to me is someone who says one thing, but does the opposite.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not at all. I think it is usually a sign of maturity to be able to see that you were wrong and make a change.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• lets say a person was a Christian, lived the Christian life to the best of her ability, then decided that she did not really feel comfortable in that role, & decided that it was not for her....would she then be a hypocrite as she is now following a different set of ideas, though not necessarily religion based?
    HaydensMommy007

Comment by HaydensMommy007 (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i don't think so....i've seen that happen in a lot of cases...ppl are raised a certain way with a set of certain beliefs, but as they get older and more educated, they realize a new belief that makes more sense to them....and i don't think there's anything wrong with it....where i think someone is a hypocrite is when they preach Christianity but do things against it....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No. We all grow and mature, and as that happens so do our views about life and the world around us. New knowledge and understandings about things is bound to affect us, and if it doesn't THEN we are a hypocrite... To know something and not allow it to take hold simply devoids the purpose of learning it in the first place, and to know something to be factual and refuse to believe it simply because it doesn't fit with what we want the world to be is hypocrisy at it's finest...

Change is a part of growth, to think we can grow without change is simply ignorant...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Nope, I was raised in a Christian home and grew up in it. And at the beginning stood for it because it was all I knew. But, now that I have been studying and looking at what others believe I have changed my mind. I don't think I'm a hypocrite I just think I'm finally educated and more aware of what is really out there. :)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i don't think so. if you truly change your beliefs, that's just a development that a lot of people go through in their lives. hypocrisy would only come into play if you're preaching one thing and doing something else in your private life.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 8:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010