How much melatonin to give a 8yr(Therapist recommended)

My son was on rispirdol for 4yrs I chose to take him off therapist recommended a safer method to help him sleep!!

jen3577

Asked by jen3577 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• 2.5-5 mg.

one thing you should be aware of though first, once you start taking melatonin, the body will produce less of it. This means that it is very difficult to stop taking melatonin.

here's a link to a children's melatonin study http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/melinchilwsl.html

how much time in sunlight does your son get a day? the sun helps to naturally regulate the body's production of melatonin.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Thanks for the website I will look it up, my son usually gets between 2-4hrs a school day and 4-6hrs of sunlight on weekends I thought school would help him with his schedule but not yet!!!
    jen3577

Answer by jen3577 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• another thing, if you haven't tried it yet, my 9 year old ADHD/ADD/Autistic son drinks chamomile tea to help fall asleep.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2008