Expired carseat

My girlfriend has a niece that does not have a car seat for her 1 year old and can not afford to go out and buy one. The baby is to big for his infant car seat and my girlfriend asked me if I would give her my 5 yo old car seat since my dd is no longer using it. My problem with this is that my dd old car seat is "expired" and I do not feel right about giving an expired car seat to my friend for her neice to use. Am I wrong for refusing to give her the expired car seat?

My girlfriend does not see what the big deal is. I have told her countless times that there are places that her neice can go to get an up to date car seat for the baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would not want to give someone an expired car seat either. You are not wrong and you are doing what is right. You are protecting another child from something that could harm the child if in a car accident.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Do not give it to her. Plastic gets dried out and brittle and will not offer much protection in an accident.
    If you don't mind giving out the info, let me know what city you live in and I will try to find programs that will loan out seats or sell them cheap.
    I know in MS the public library has a carseat rental program. It's like $20 bucks a year, as long as you need it. If you give it back in crappy condition, there's a nominal fee. crisis pregnancy centers are also a good place to look for help for things like this.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 6:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Why would she WANT to use it?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would not give it to her. It is expired.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Do not give her the expired seat. It is also unsafe to use a used carseat that isnt expired due to the fact that it may have been involved in a car accident and they arent to be used after that either. I work for a police dept and we do carseat checkpoints. tell her to check with her local police dept or fire dept and see if they have a program for carseats or know of somewhere that does. Our program provides people that need them with a carseat and teaches you how to properly install a carseat.
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Kudos to you for not giving it to her. Its unsafe after the expiration date. She can get cheapo convertible seats for like 40 bucks brand new.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• A cosco scenera only costs $40-45 they need to find the money to get one if they can't find one for free. Many places give out free seats though if they look into it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:08 AM on Sep. 19, 2010