Money is missing from my daughters school fundraising packet!

So, yes tis the time of year where our children turn into peddlers of various products brought home from school. I have to say I really dont like these things :P Its difficult to keep up with the orders and honestly, I think they should be doing homework, chores, or extracurricular activities instead. Anyway, lured by the promise of toys as a reward from the company that urges kids to sell, I decided to let my son and daughter head out on our block with my oldest daughter. They actually enjoyed it anyway :) Well my daughter turned her packet in without me having a chance to look it over and come to find out, she is $71 short!! I dont know who paid cash verses check, etc! I am so broke, I do not have it to cover either! What do I do about punishment, or interrogation, and fixing this whole mess!

Momof3many

Asked by Momof3many at 8:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• do u think your daughter took it?
    GabeANnenasmOm

Answer by GabeANnenasmOm at 8:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I think I may have figured out what happened. She took orders but didnt collect on some. I just have to spend our Sunday walking house to house to reverify orders! AHHH kids lol
    Momof3many

Answer by Momof3many at 11:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I wouldn't punish. It sounds like the older daughter wasn't supervising that aspect of it and she didn't understand how to do it. My daughter gave out almost a box of candy and didn't collect the money. She took I.O.U.s I think you will have to suck it up and pay it and let it be a lesson all the way around. You could ask her to revisit everyone and hope the honor system brings you out even on who paid and who didn't. At least the cost to you will be less up front and hopefully, you will either cancel the orders unpaid or receive compensation at delivery time.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I agree w/ manna1qd as far as not punishing. The next x ur child(ren) participate in a fund raiser, maybe an adult can go w/ them 2 help keep things a little more organized & run a little smoother.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I would contact the people who's ordered them and tell them what happened and see what they paid with. And you can put a stop payment on the personal checks. And can trace money order's. Some customer's might get mad and some might not. But they need to be informed since they did pay for it. Then I would contact the school telling them what happened as well and maybe they might be able to suggest something to you about it. Because if it's been cashed then that's not fair to the customer's. Then if the one's who's put money order's in the order packet they can also try to cancel it as well and get a refund on it if they don't want the item or item's. That's what I would do. I would act first then worry later. Then if nothing of this seems to help then I would give you're daughter a consequence for loosing the money.
    snickers1201

Answer by snickers1201 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2008