Is it possible to have an early miscarriage and not realize it?

This goes along with my question about conceiving right after a miscarriage. Can you have a miscarriage but think that it was just a really heavy period and then continue taking clomid and get a really early positive test result the next month that was actually picking up the hcg from the miscarried baby and about a week after doing the urine test it is confirmed by blood test that you are indeed pregnant but it's still a mystery as to how far along?

I'm trying to figure out if that the heavy bleeding I had was a period, or a miscarriage, or just unexplained bleeding during pregnancy. I'm hoping someone can help because my hcg is high enough that if I'm just barely pregnant then there's probably more than one baby or If I was pregnant before all that bleeding and it's the same pregnancy then it could be ectopic and that needs to be taken care of. I've had an ultrasound, but it was "inconclusive".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• you can DEFINITELY miscarry and not know it. specially early on and if a woman has had a history of heavy periods etc. I know I have had at least one miscarriage i didnt realize was one till seeing my OB/Gyn when the bleeding wasnt stopping like a period normally does. and i tested positive for up to 13 days after a miscarriage was confirmed. I only hope that you get the answers you are hoping for soon.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 7:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• you can test positive for pregnancy after a miscarriage up to a month and its called a missed miscarriage
    drdavenport

Answer by drdavenport at 7:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It happens a lot, actually, often even before the woman knows she's pregnant. It would result in a heavy, clumpy period, depending on how far along you are.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes. In early pregnancy some women don't even know they miscarried and oe are pregnant. Some women miscarry before they even have their 1st ultrasound
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Yes, you can miscarry and not know it. Some research suggests it happens 1 out of every 4 pregnancies! Wow!
    But I'm a bit confused by your question. You say you might have has a miscarriage but now it has been a full cycle and you are having your next period? If that is the case, it is extremely unlikely that you have any HCG in your system from the first miscarriage.

If you are showing a positive blood test but you are only a week 'late" it will definitely be too early to see anything conclusive by ultrasound. Did you do a transvaginal or a pelvic (on the skin) ultrasound? Is your care provider monitoring your HCG levels every 2 days to watch for the numbers to double?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2010