Are you/Have you ever been a compulsive hoarder? Or do you know a compulsive hoarder?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• cont. hit send by accident.Fortunately most of the time I put in a trash sack and take it to our outside cans right away or put it in smaller sacks and drop it off at Goodwill that day.Once it is literally out of the house it has broken it's hold on me.The other 50% of the time I toss everything quickly.I am 53 so I know what I have to do to stay diligent.My house is fine no stacks but I wish it was more natural for me and not such an effort.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 9:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my uncles home is a health hazard ...i just don't know how to help. I don't have the money and i don't want them to become homeless by calling the health department...i have no extra room either.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i think my mom is borderline hoarder. she has a really hard time throwing anything away.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• nope. but my housemate is one. he lives in the other side of our duplex. but between me and another friend of his its kept in check from becoming hazardous or infested with bugs/rodents
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 7:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i am not...the most i may hoard is mail for a little while until i'm ready to burn it. My great aunt and uncle who live together are compulsive hoarders. They hoard animals and just about everything. I would say the oddest thing i've noticed they have is an old rocking chair that was my great grandmothers that is broken but they don't want to let it go because it was hers. They have clothes that was my great grandads (he died in the 70's before i was even born) but they still have everything of his. Its really sad cuz you can hardly move through their home for all the stuff. Its worse than some of the shows i've seen
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My MIL is one rummage sale away from being on that show hoarders-drives me nutty! I on the other hand have the opposite problem. Whatever, is wrong in a hoarders mind I have the opposite going on in mine. My house is practically empty because I don't like unnecessary stuff lying around. I've even thrown away important things before. Just need to find that happy medium;)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 7:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My mom is. I loathe a mess. I haven't stepped foot into her house since I moved out five years ago. I refuse to until it's clean.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No but I suspect there is a hoarder inside of me.50% of the time I think about the stuff I throw away...should I or shouldn't I; will I need it in the future.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 9:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My MIL was a compulsive hoarder. When she died, it took weeks to get rid of the piles of stuff so my FIL could have a safe environment to live in.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:57 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I've known some. I think my aunt and her boyfriend are/were. Their house was always a disaster when I was a kid with stuff just piled everywhere. When my mom would ask why she didn't clean up she didn't understand the questions. Everything in her house had a purpose, I guess.
    My dad hated going to her house but my dad is a low grade hoarder. He never throws away magazines or catalogs. He has piles of them in his room, most he never reads but refuses to toss them because he might need them. It takes him a lot to finally go through them and still only tosses a fraction of them. He also hoards food. There is stuff in his pantry that expired in 1996 and stuff in the fridge that expired in 2001. He got mad when me and the kids cleaned both out and tossed a bunch of old food.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010