To give or not to give?

A good friend of mine is having her 3rd child in the next week....I was wondering if it's normal to give gifts to the new baby as well as the older siblings. This is something I've always done, but my hubby says that he's never heard of it nor does he think it's necessary. He agrees with a little gift to the mommy, daddy and baby...but not the older children. I think they should be acknowledged too.

Do you?

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it's a good idea to keep them from feeling left out. i did the same thing for a friend of mine and her kids when she was preg.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I always do. It makes them feel special and not forgotten.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I always give a small gift to older children to make sure they are not left out in all the excitement
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 7:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If I gave a gift to everyone in the family everytime somebody had a baby I would be broke! I just give a gift for baby. I do think giving everyone a gift is very thoughtful, though.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 7:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I never have, however, it's not a bad idea. Having older children see mom, dad & baby get new gifts could cause some jealousy issues that are easily avoided by a small gift. But frankly, I've never heard of or even thought of doing so...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I'd just buy for the baby. It is their BIRTHDAY. I don't buy for other kids when its the other's birthday,so I feel this is the same.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i think its the parents job to do that..for my wedding shower i knew we were going to be getting gifts so i bought my son a nice toy..i wouldnt expect everyone to buy him something because he may feel left out.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We encourages people to give my older son gifts when his sister was born. We had a Big Brother party on the day his sister came home. It was important to us that he take on his new role with a positive attitude. Him watching his new sister get boo-coo's of stuff while he got nothing seemed like a bad start.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If this is something that you have done before, then give the others a gift also.
    msbrewton

Answer by msbrewton at 9:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes I think it is nice to acknowledge the other kids too.
    :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010