What do you do to reduce your power bill?

Our bill was $157 this month! We are in a new house and used to our bills being about $75-100.

I know to turn lights off when you leave a room, turn off the central when we leave the house, use natural light during the day instead of the electricity and we do those things.

I do admit to keeping the air at 74 at night and 78 some days. I forget what you are reomended to keep it at, but I hate it being hot. I am however willing to give on that some to keep the bills down. (Does anyone know what they say to keep it at in the summer and winter?)

What are some other things to do?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 7:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We changed all our lights out to the energy saving ones. The best is they last for 7 yrs. So we even saved money on buying lights. The seem like a lot at first but they pay for themselves fast. We don't use the heat or ac unless needed. I always turn the ac off at night and use a fan. During the winter we live our curtains closed. To keep the heat in.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Wash clothes in cold water
    Do dishes once a day to save water
    Keep thermostat at 66-68 in winter and bundle up

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• we cover our windows with heavy curtains or even nice blankets in the summer to keep out the summer sun thus heating the house, thus costing more for air conditioning. in the winter we use plastic seal to cover and seal the windows, even though we have new windows. stil helps. and we cover them with again heavy blankets or heavy curtains to insulate from heat loss. we have bean cloth rolls at ever main door to put in place to stop any drafts under the door or heat loss . we personaly keep our heat at 62 in the winter. bundling up is easier than paying an even HIGHER heating bill. we have a heavy blanket screwed in to the front hall way wall over the doorway . that area is not insulated and we lose a lot of heat there. in the winter we unroll the blanket and cover that doorway to help with heat loss.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 7:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I've done all sorts of things even unplugging the t.v. when not in use. Honestly, I don't feel like it does much for my bill. Our bill was $168.00 last month. This was our highest bill so far in our new house. I'm confused because we haven't had the air on for well over a month.Also, I really don't even cook. It really doesn't seem to matter what we do.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 7:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• oh yea and wash in cold.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• oh be sure to unplug small appliances when not useing and power cords they use up power even though they are not running
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Set copier on 25% and push copy.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• must b nice to have a bill that small here were im at its always over 250 n thats cus were with the cheapest light company
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010