ARGH! Potty training!

She'll say "potty?" and I rush her in and let her go. She says she's done so we clean up and wash our hands, and just about the time we're able to get back to whatever it was we were doing.... "potty?" Come on girl, do it all at once if you're going to. *SIGH*

And today I'm starting to think "potty" is her favorite word of the day. It's really cute that she's trying to potty train her dolly, but it's getting a bit frustrating to hear all the false alarm "potty"s.

I don't want to ignore her or tell her no when she says she wants/needs to go. But there's got to be something I can do to make this part of the process smoother. Suggestions?

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 7:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just give it time. Both my kids went through that and it didn't last long. Eventually, she'll be able to tell a bit better when she really does have to go. At least she is showing interest! My oldest didn't show any sign of readiness until 3 1/2! (not for lack of trying either!)
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• only time will fix it. its new and exciting right now, and its good that she is so excited. soon she also wont want to spend all day in the bathroom. my son was like that when we first started, and now he uses it to his advantage if hes in trouble or doesnt want to do something. he will say "potty" just to get out of it because he knows no matter what i will take him to the bathroom. but now he does it himself. you could try that, teaching her to do it herself. my only problem now is i always seem to have a naked boy running around. he can get undressed and pee but he cant get his undies back on.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I'm at the same stage with my son. I try to ask him at least an hour after he has eaten or drank any liquids. Otherwise every hour an half we go to bathroom together. . I let him kno that he needs to start using underwear cuz mommy won't be buying any more "diapers". He doesn't see the difference wit pullups. He also does better with other kids around. If he sees them run to the restroom he wants to go also.
    chiachick2005

Answer by chiachick2005 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I've seriously spent probably half of today either in the bathroom with her or somewhere in the process of taking her to or from the toilet. It's the weekend and I feel crappy with a craptastic headache, I don't wanna hang out in the bathroom. *WHINE*
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We got the little potty seat when she was 14ish months because she was showing a lot of interest in it (they were working on potty training an older child at day care at the time, so she wanted to be included). At that point I'd put her on it once in a while and for the most part she'd just sit there and smile. within a couple months she was actually DOING something on it when I'd put her there.

She's just over 20 months now, and the past couple months I keep thinking "oooh, we're almost done".... *sigh* and well... we're not. I know it's just a matter of time, but I really can't help but think "crap or get off the pot"... either lets do potty only or diapers only, I'm tired of both. So far telling a 20 month old to decide just isn't happening.
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my baby only pees in the toilet wont poop!! help!! No clue as to what to do?!!?
    iambrownluv

Answer by iambrownluv at 1:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010