Jesus is God?

What faith believes Jesus is God?
And how did this understanding come about?
The bible says:
John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dictionary: begotten - (of offspring) generated by procreation; "naturally begotten child" biological - of parents and children; related by blood; "biological child".

I have always thought Jesus is Gods only son...

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Gabriel said to Mary: (Luke 1:35) For that reason also what is born will be called holy, God’s Son.
    God said when Jesus was baptized: (Matthew 3:17) Look! Also, there was a voice from the heavens that said: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.”
    Jesus said when opposers wanted to stone him:(John 10:35-36) If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came, and yet the Scripture cannot be nullified, 36 do YOU say to me whom the Father sanctified and dispatched into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, I am God’s Son.
    Jesus said to his apostles:(John 14:28) YOU heard that I said to YOU, I am going away and I am coming [back] to YOU. If YOU loved me, YOU would rejoice that I am going my way to the Father, because the Father is greater than I am. 
    Paul said: (Colossians 1:15) He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 
    Jesus was created 1st- only begotten
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 10:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one being just as I am Mother and daughter and wife.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Jesus (God the Son) is the second person of the Trinity. God the Father is the first, God the Holy Spirit is the third. 1 in essence; 3 in being.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Really, I'd just worry about what you believe personally. No one can tell you that you have to believe in the Trinity or that you have to reject it. Its up to you to decide whether its something that resonates with you personally. This is your relationship with God, and you'll want to follow what makes sense to you, or you'll only complicate what should be a very simple, personal thing.

Of course, there are those who will tell you I'm wrong, but ultimately you have to decide for yourself whether you believe them. Its all about how you feel convicted, and if you try to follow something that doesn't ring true to you, regardless of what it is or isn't, its only going to hinder your spiritual growth, rather than enhance it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I thought the same as you, but I'm not very religious was forced to go to church when I was younger.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 8:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• There are various ways of belief within the Christian faith. Some believe Jesus is God incarnate, some believe he is literally the son of God, some believe that he's a son of God in the sense that we're all children of God.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• As for the Trinity - some explain it by saying water can present itself in the form of ice, steam, or liquid. Its all the same element, but its present in different ways....

(I'm personally a nonTrinitarian (Unitarian) myself)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• What is it about Jesus that you struggle with the most?

God the Father Jesus the Son and Holy Spirit are 3 in 1
    God is the creator of His Son but it was God who became man and Holy Spirit is the comforter sent by God
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:52 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

•  Judaisim is monotheistic. A Triune god was not what they worshiped ever. Jesus was a Jew and quoted this scripture
    (Deuteronomy 6:4-5) Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah. And you must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your vital force.
    Isaiah 44:6,8) “This is what Jehovah has said, the King of Israel and the Repurchaser of him, Jehovah of armies, ‘I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there is no God.
    (John 5:19) Jesus went on to say to them: " The Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the Father doing. For whatever things that One does, these things the Son also does in like manner.
    Jesus never made any claims whatsoever that he was God. He only and always said he was God's Son, perfectly reflecting God's qualities. Personally, I believe what God and Jesus both said. He did not pray to himself. He prayed to his Father.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 9:01 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Regarding Colossians 1:15, an illustration: My daughter is 12 yrs old. She is my firstborn, only-begotten daughter. She is my height, sounds like me, has a lot of my characteristics and mannerisms, as I have of my mother. We share the same values because I taught her. Whenever we go places together we always hear " she looks/ acts just like you" or she is the "spitting image of you." But she is not me. She is a unique person by herself. I have been here longer and have more experience than she. If she goes to the neighbor to deliver a message I gave her, it is not HER message; it is MY message that she is conveying. She is going in behalf of her mother, to convey my thoughts and ideas using her mouth. We are in union in the sense of having the same purpose- to deliver a message. But she is still not me.

It is in this sense that Jesus is the "image" of the invisible God.

69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 10:53 AM on Sep. 19, 2010