Spin-off of another question. Do you give gifts to your other kids when its the other's birthday?

What about if it was you or your spouse's birthday? Do the kids get upset seeing YOU GUYS get gifts and feel left out somehow? Where does it end? I've seen questions where moms say the kid doesn't get something when they go out,so why,if you do,do you feel they should recieve gifts when its not their birthday?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I honestly think it teaches your child to be spoiled and selfish. When they get older they aren't always going to be the center of attention either. Plus it takes away from the child whose birthday it is. Your birthday is suppose to make you feel special.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• never
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I won't be giving my son a gift when it's my husband's birthday. They need to learn that special days are for certain people and that they get treated well that day. Not everyone all together, because then it makes the special day for that person not as special, because everyone is getting something.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 8:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• All of my kids have birthdays within a few weeks of each other. Because of that, I don't give them their gifts all at once. They each get their own day.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Like I stated in the other question I would be broke. Futhermore, if the kid gets gifts everytime someone else does I would be afraid to send them to a child's birthday party-wouldn't want them to through a fit because Jimmy was getting all the gifts and he wasn't getting any. My kids will get theirs when it's their turn. My son has one friend who comes to every birthday and the parents always send a gift for our daughter, it's a nice thought and my daughter loves it, but it's unnecessary(they also have a lot of money, daddy is an architect).
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 8:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No. The only one that gets anything is the birthday kid/person. My 10yo doesn't like that. She throws a fit every time it's someone else's birthday and wants something, too, even though we have never allowed that. She's so selfish. I don't know where she gets it because we didn't raise her that way.
    As for on me and hubby's birthdays...we don't get gifts so it's never been an issue.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't do it for my own kids, but if I go to my friend's child's birthday I usually bring a small something for the other child. Not a full on big gift... but something small that they can play with while the sibling opens TONS of presents.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I feel the birthday person gets birhtday gifts in honor of THEIR day. Other kids need to accept this and they'll grow to understand it. I used to get my youngins excited to 'GIVE' recognition or gift which takes the focus off of their own innate selfishness-they're just little & do not understand yet. Afterall, they also have their own special birthday, they just have to wait their turn. :)
    Mommameeah

Answer by Mommameeah at 10:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Never.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Mine have birthdays a week apart, so we give gifts to both kids on both days. It's usually something the same or similar, like them both getting a scooter on one's birthday and them both getting a Nintendo DS on the other's birthday, instead of them each getting a scooter and ds a week apart.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2010