Introducing Solid Foods

When did you start introducing solid foods to your little one? Do you think you started too early? Late?

Also, how did you go by it, as in started with just rice cereal in a bowl... in a bottle... sweetened with a little apple juice... vegetables first... fruits first? How many times did you feed them solids in the beginning and how oftern did you increase.

You see my pediatrician passed away this past weekend and I live in a small town where there are waiting lists for months for appointments sometimes and I am trying to find a replacement. I was suppose to go over this in my appointment with him next week. Help!

GeorgiaPeach_87

Asked by GeorgiaPeach_87 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my boys started around 7-8 months. I would not have started earlier and they wouldn't let me wait longer.

They started with solid table food... steamed green bean was my first's first food and baked sweet potato was my seconds. They fed themselves, so no spoons or bowls (and certainly NOT bottles!). No grains until much closer to a year (too hard to digest) and no special food to buy, just whatever we were having that they could have. They both LOVE food... so I guess we did the job! lol...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• LeanneC - so you just skipped the whole baby food altogether? Thats interesting! I never even had thought about that even being an option! :)
    GeorgiaPeach_87

Comment by GeorgiaPeach_87 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i started with rice cereal about 4 months. with my next one i will wait until atleast 6 months to start. i mixed it with breastmilk, very thin at first, and slowly made it thicker and thicker. at 5 months i mashed a banana and fed her that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• With my first, we started rice cereal at 4 months and jar foods at 6 months. We did things a little differently with my 2nd baby. She was about 5 months old when she started acting very interested in what we were eating so I skipped the cereal altogether. I didn't do it very consistently until about 6 months. She does the jar foods, and I do mix some brown rice cereal to thicken it up a little bit. She also gets a little of what we eat. DH has made her sweet potatoes and carrots. I've given her bananas and grapes and peaches in a mesh feeder. Those are little mesh bags that you can put the food in, and the holes are small enough that they can't get anything big enough to choke themselves.

I would not do bottles or with juice. Also, I would recommend starting with vegetables and then moving onto fruits. Some pediatricians will tell you to stick with a certain color of food (like peas & green beans).
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my pediatrician told me to start with rice cereal at about 4 months and if the baby didnt seem interested in it to give her a few days and try again. she also suggested that i mix a little baby food in with it to give it flavor. She wasnt interested either way. so i tried a few times and then stopped altogether. recently I tried again and just gave her gerber first foods. she loves it. i only give her one "meal" a day of "food" right now. She enjoys it but I dont wanna overdo it. And if she doesnt seem interested that day i just skip it and give her formula. she has had no issues and no problems from it so far. She is at 6 months right now.
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My dd started with cereal mixed with breastmilk at 4 months, then at 6 months she started with purees. We did prunes as her first food because she is an irregular pooper. She got pureed veggies twice a day and pureed fruit once a day along with cereal once a day until about 7 and a half months, at which point we started finger foods. She can eat almost anything we do, just blander and cut smaller. She loves whole steamed green beans, peas, broccoli, chopped carrot, fresh cucumber sticks, ground turkey, chicken, cheerios, puffs, yogurt melts, graham crackers. She can do macaroni noodles too. We just cook hers a few minutes longer. She likes yogurt. We give her plain, full fat yogurt and add a little fruit to it. It helps her digestion, which is a great bonus. She's 8 months old now and working on self feeding.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:36 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Oh, and the amount of food given increases with the child's appetite. Just remember, solids always come after breastmilk or formula for the first year, because this is still the primary source of nutrition. And the easiest way to make sure that your baby is getting a variety of nutrients from the solids is to vary the colors of food given. Each color category has a different varient of nutrients.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Google "baby led weaning" (weaning as in starting solids... it's a British thing). We never did baby food at all... it works quite well and allows them to self-regulate and avoids texture issues.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• This won't be a popular answer but we started feeded our son cereal at 4.5 months and he is now 5.5 months old and eating breakfast, lunch and dinner solids (sweet potatoes with a little bit of cereal mixed in with it). We still give him the same amount of formula (24 ounces a day) but we now feed him every 6 ounces every 4 hours instead of 5ounces every 3... We have him on a routine (NOT a schedule) so he looks forward to eating solids and has no trouble at all eating them.. he actually looks for more when he is done but we don't want to over feed him. We do not use solids as a suppliment for formula just an addition.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 8:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2010