what do to help her sleep

ever since lastnight my 3 week old has not been sleepin like she does she was practicly wake all night long and almost all day today and every time i put her in her bassine she wakes up usually shell fall asleep when i feed her and burb her but she is fighting it what can i do to help her sleep im a first time mom

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This might not be the best advice but we put our son in his crib to sleep and then when he wakes up the first time I just keep him in bed with us. But we have been co-sleeping like this since he was born and we both enjoy it, so it's not for everyone.

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I swaddled my son really tight. He seemed to sleep better like that cuz it doesn't remind of the enclosed space in the womb. Try putting soothing music on for her. Or maybe leaving a night light on. Not all babies are the same so these are suggestions i used for my son when he was born. He now falls asleep watching his favorite movie.

Answer by chiachick2005 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• if you don't want to co sleep you could try the cio method, though i think she's too small for that. make sure her milk is warm enough if you're using formula.

Answer by angevil53 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• She's 3 weeks old - she's not going to sleep regular hours - she'll go some days with little sleep and others she'll sleep a lot. At 3 weeks old babies don't have an internal clock going. You can't do anything to make her sleep - she's going to do this more often.

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• There's no "sleeping like she was" at 3 weeks... you've got months of sleep changes ahead of you, don't expect anything they do now to last.

It's probably a growth spurt.

Answer by LeanneC at 8:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It's just a phase. You'll go through a lot of them over the next few years. :) Babies typically don't begin consolidating their sleep until about 6 weeks old. Around that time, she'll start sleeping longer stretches at more predictable times. There's really nothing you can do to make her sleep at this age except watch for her sleepy cues (yawning, rubbing eyes, movements slowing down), and try to put her down drowsy but awake so she starts learning to self soothe. Also, at this age, it's ok to use a swing or bouncy seat to help her sleep.

Answer by Journey311 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My little girl did the same thing. She slept as good as a newborn can i guess for the first couple weeks, and then once she got used to being out in the big wide world she started having a funky sleep pattern. What i did was start her on a very strict schedule as far as eating went. She had a stretch of about 4-6 hours every day that she would sleep but it was not at night. We woke her up and fed her every 3 hours like clockwork even if she didtn wanna wake up and then she eventually moved that stretch of time to night time hours. Now at almost 6 months she sleeps all night from like 8 til about 7 the next morning and only takes a couple short naps during the day. Occasionally we have nights where she wakes up a few times and goes right back to sleep but its mainly from teething

Answer by teagansmom10 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• newborn babies don't have reliable sleeping schedules. my son didn't start sleeping well until he was 6 months old. you could try swaddling her or co sleeping. or even skin to skin. my son always fell asleep on my chest. maybe she wants to be close to you.

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010