Anyone else think this is crazy?

A few years ago my in-laws gave my husband and I a "gift" of $1000. They gave the same amount to their other two children. I was very grateful and appreciative even though we didn't ask for it. The kicker was, at tax time they gave us a flippin' 1099.

I didn't say anything and we paid the taxes on this, but I couldn't believe they did that. Maybe because my parents wouldn't do that in a million years! My husband was kinda shocked, too! Was I wrong to be a little miffed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• No, I would be very miffed too. I am appalled and it didn't even happen to me. I have had to borrow money before and was told don't worry about it and to this day have to hear about how we spend our money even after we gave it back. I would have somehow given the money back. It obviously wasn't a gift. I would never ever accept money again after something like that. I would kindly decline the so called gift and say I can't afford to be 1099'd again....

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Yeah... that's weird. I'd definately be like, "WTF is this?"
    Anonymous

• sounds a little special, I started to laugh when I read it. People are so different...you just have to laugh!
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Just be grateful or give the money back.
    Anonymous

• yeah that's crazy. who does that and if they had been up front would you of taken it. i would of wanted to know up front and maybe you should tell them if they intend on doing that again to let you know.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I'm sorry, but to make you pay taxes on a gift like that? That's bull. My Grandfather has gifted us plenty of money and he's never handed us a 1099 with it. But, some people are like that I guess. I wouldn't put it past my in-laws to do that too. They seem like they would. I probably would have given the money back then.
    Anonymous

• I personally wonder why they did that? What was the purpose of it? When a person gives you a gift it is a gift. I think that if they offer you anymore money, I would ask them if they were going to give you another 1099. It seems like they wanted to take a tax break on what is supposed to be a gift. When a person gives a gift, that's all there is to it.
    nannee59

Answer by nannee59 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• WOW.... that's all I can say. I can't even imagine!
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 9:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Oh my goodness! I mean, I guess what are you supposed to do in a situation like this!!! You've had the money til tax time (probably spent) so you don't have much of a choice other than to take it...arguing wouldn't do any good, and you still came out ahead on the deal...but the behavior is odd!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I wonder why they did that. They can give a gift to a child (sibling) of up to $1500 a year tax free, they wouldn't of been taxed on that $3000 anyway. I think they had you and your husbands siblings pay their taxes for them that year.

My siblings and I do that a lot when one of us needs a little extra money, we will give a gift to the other for $1500, then pay it back the next financial year.

Your in-laws are sneaky little devils.
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 11:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2008