How can I get my 2 year old to nap?

I know he should nap around 1:00, after lunch but he refuses to. Then he ends up falling asleep around 4 or 5 and I have to wake him up so he will go to bed on time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Great question- I have the same thing going on. Some people will say, maybe he/she doesn't need a nap, but my 2yr. old gets so cranky without one. I make sure to keep her busy throughout the day, then depending on how she acts (active wise), I may try to get her to nap around 2pm or even 3. Sometimes I have to go for a drive, then she usually falls asleep in the car. Sometimes she plays in her room for a little while, which is fine with me.
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 9:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would put him down between 1-2 and tell him not to get out of bed and to take a nap. If he gets up, go tell him to get in bed. If you have to, take away one of his fav toys.
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 8:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• What time is he getting up? Get him up by 7 or so,so that he'll be tired by 1.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i'd encourage quiet time for about a half hour before 1, then at 12:45/1:00 put him in his room with a few books and soft music and eventually he will equate that part of the day with soft, quiet time and fall asleep at that time of day.

At least that;s what wokred for my 2 year old.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My son stop taking naps by then. Make it quiet time.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My daughter just turned 3, by the time she was 22 months or so she almost completely stopped taking naps.....I was lucky to get 1 nap a month, but still till this day she goes into her room for a "nap" for two hours......whether she naps or not is another thing, she rarely does but its still quiet time that both she and I need. She has not napped in about 3 weeks now and its showing!!! I just wish she would surrender to it sometimes even once a week......but as far as I know there is no way to force a child into a nap, you can try adjusting the time maybe try to put him down 1/2 earlier, 1/2 later etc......
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 19, 2010