Is it trolling or are people really that sheltered?

It seems to go in cycles - every few months new questions pop up from people who cannot wrap their minds around the very concept that there are people on earth who don't practice the same religion they do. I know I do occasionally run into them irl, and their reactions run from sad and pathetic to almost entertaining when they find out they are talking to someone of another faith. It seems, though, that they are VERY concentrated here, in a place where representations of other religions are right there in their face.

That's where my confusion lies. Are there really that many people who come here and absolutely cannot comprehend all the questions & journals they see about pagans, Wicca, Islam, atheism, or just generally addressed to "non-Christians" and it still doesn't sink in that those questions are about actual real people and answered by practitioners? Or are they just trolls trying to start drama and get attention?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• – collapse

Blah, Blah, Blah!

1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 8:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• maybe they have led very sheltered lives?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Blah, Blah, Blah!

They have 3 whole sections for point whores. This is where the grown ups talk.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• everyone has their own opinions and beliefs, if you ask for an opinion, you won't always get answers from people who have the same ideas as you. so if you don't want to hear it, then don't ask for opinions.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well, for starters, some are obviously trolls, while I think some are not. It surprises me too. However, I really think there are places in this country (especially small towns) where some people are surrounded by people of their same religion their entire lives. They truly never experience diversity irl. Seems kinda crazy, but I've known people like that. They would ask questions like what you're referring to an in no way mean offense by it, and they weren't intolerant. They honestly just had no idea how many people are not Christian.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• if you ask for an opinion, you won't always get answers from people who have the same ideas as you. so if you don't want to hear it, then don't ask for opinions.

Oh, I'm happy to hear opinions. What I'd like to avoid are pointless answers from brain dead little kids trying to rack up points for their silly game. You know, people who can't even answer a simple question. Kind of like...you.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Some of them really do live in areas where everyone around them believes the same, or at least they assume everyone does so I'll go with Sheltered life/ being naive. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it does make it harder for these people to grasp concepts that are foreign to what they know and have encountered before. It's a whole new territory for them
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i think it is solely out of complete ignorance about other religions outside thier own. maybe and not usually deliberate.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think many really can't understand. Living where I do, I know that there are people who really are so sheltered they can't fathom someone not being a Christian. The kind of mentality we see on here really does exist IRL, so I'm sure that some of the people on here really do feel that way.

Although I don't doubt a few on here understand and are just trolling anyway....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Oh, I'm happy to hear opinions. What I'd like to avoid are pointless answers from brain dead little kids trying to rack up points for their silly game. You know, people who can't even answer a simple question. Kind of like...you. "

Maybe I took it wrong, but I thought she was referring to when people ask questions and are surprised that people of other religions answer. I don't think she was referring to your post.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010