What age do they test for ADHD?

My fiance had one of the worst cases of ADHD that Childrens Hospital had seen. My 2 1/2 year old twins are showing signs. I don't know how other ADHD kids act, but their grandmother said that is how their father acted as a small child. Any ideas?

Mom63601

Asked by Mom63601 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• They can check as young as 1 i guess because my brothers son is only 6 and the Doctors say he has it.
    jerseygem

Answer by jerseygem at 9:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I have a gs that was dx with ADHD at about 3. He was an extreme case and they started meds at that age. I think since their father had it, they have a better chance of having it. Ask their dr, and tell them about their father having it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I really don't think you should be concerned to young. I did counseling psych in undergrad and also studied this topic in great depth and it really shouldn't be diagnosed this young.. I'd recommend that you watch the documentary "Frontline: The Medicated Child." It's available on netflix.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Based on the DSM-IV, they will not diagnose a child until at least 7 years of age and the symptoms have to have been present for 6 months or longer. Medication is not supposed to be administered to children under the age of 6. The reality of it is that children younger than 7 are being diagnosed and prescribed medications.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/medicatedchild/
    Anonymous

• My son was diagnosed ADHD/ODD aged 5. Hubby and I noticed something was not quite right as soon as he started getting mobile. He was hell on legs. You can just about get them diagnosed at any age.
    Jacqui
    snowkat3

Answer by snowkat3 at 3:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I am a piediatric psychotherapist and this a tricky question. The DSM is not say that a child cannot be diagnosed until age 7. What it does say is that symptoms of ADHD must have occured before age 7. I have heard of children as young as 2. I have never treated a 2 year old for ADHD. But many mothers of children living with ADHD say that looking back they could see signs and symptoms when they were younger. There are just so many things that could be going on. There is a thing called a piediatric behavorialist (a special kind of MD) who specializes in children with concerning behaviors early in life. Ask for a referal from your child's doctor.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008