Are they an organized party or not?

Though headless, the tea party movement is not mindless. Its collective brain meets every Monday night.

More than 200 leaders of local tea parties — coordinators, as they usually call themselves — join a conference call organized by an umbrella group called the Tea Party Patriots, the largest national tea party organization. Organizers estimate that membership totals about 15 million.

On one Monday recently, three national coordinators began the session with a rundown on plans for upcoming rallies. The group was polled on whether to hold a second round of house parties throughout the country. A coordinator gave an update on an iPhone app for tea partiers who will be going door to door this fall to talk to voters.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No. The TPP is a bastardized tea party. They are an attempt to hijack all the grass roots movements and brand them as a conservative alternative to the pubs. There are some tea parties out there that agree with them, or at least are willing to go along with them as far as they can to get the incumbents out in their areas, but they are not any kind of appointed representative. They're like Michael Moore standing up and declaring himself the "voice" of liberalism or Glenn Beck designating himself as the official conservative mouthpiece. Nobody asked them, but unfortunately, just enough people pay attention to the BS they spew to give them media coverage.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Don't mistaken the lack of having a "CEO" so to speak as being unorganized. It is more of a coordination. We are not a party. We are not an organization. We are a movement. Even movements need to be "directed" if they are to have a coherency and not unravel. If the people on the conference call weren't discussing the issues the people, like me, at home, having discussions, making calls, and letting our desires be known, we wouldn't continue to find the common ground and keep showing up. I don't follow anyone blindly. Neither do the rest of us. But, NP, you are using the Alinsky Rule 5 again by calling the Tea Party "bastards" and dismissing us as "Michael Moores". Rule 5: Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. But, the way I see it, if you need to ridicule us to make us seem less than we are, then we must be doing something right.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• WE - yes I am a tea-party-er - ARE A MOVEMENT. We are NOT a political party. The "party" half of the title is just a coincidence; it comes from the Boston Tea Party. You folks ARE aware that the Boston Tea Party was a protest action and was NOT a political party, right?

We are interested in helping people learn about core American principles, or recognize them and distinguish them from contradictory principles so that they can see things clearly and make their own informed decisions about where they stand and what they think ought to be done in their community and nation.

Because of recent staggeringly un-Constitutional and harmful actions done by the Congress and the administration, we DO want to help candidates get elected who will help get things onto an American footing. But if people against child abuse work for candidates, does that make THEM a political party?

Read the REST of that article. It helps you understand.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I didn't vote you down. And, I know how to read (more #5 which is what you do best - insult, belittle, instigate) The TPP are the largest because people like them the most. Don't misunderstand. We are not the gullible bunch of old angry white people a lot of people think we are. Special interest - what does that mean anyway? The interest they are bought and paid for by are people. Calling them bought and paid for by "special interest" is an attempt to make them less legitimate. Every time someone says something like that, my resolve deepens. I do my research, I know who sponsors whom. No one has been "hijacked" or duped. If this is so offensive to liberals, then why don't they do something about the "special interest" dealings within that party? Good ole double standard alive and well on CM.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Interesting discussion you have going here. Oh, it isn't a discussion. It is, now that I see better, a bash the Tea Party, anyone who supports the Tea Party, and any opinion different from the liberal norm. Well, I align myself with the Tea Party, and I am not ashamed or intimidated by a few down votes that mean nothing on here anyway if you post using your avitar. So, go at it ladies. Bash the movement, but you will be glad they were a movement in a few years.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• OK, so it's a bash the modern-day Tea Party! Or any offshoots of it, or any conservatives. After all, aren't they all about the same, and after the same thing?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i think pple r just scared of our movement. we dont need a leader figure. its us the people finally standing up and sayin we r tired of how shit is running here. call us wat ever u want bastard racist it all comes down to is ur scared of us.
    sexymomma_88

Answer by sexymomma_88 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• sweet, you don't even like the Tea Party movement! Why are your trying to undermine it? No matter how to try to say it has been "hijacked" or "stolen", it doesn't work. You talk smack about it, and now you are trying to say, what? It was fine until a certain element got involved, and now it is the same? What do you care? You aren't going to a rally anyway. We, the people (lol) who go to the rallies, are just fine with the way the Tea Party has reacted to issues, supporting candidates, and organize rallies.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If it was stolen from the original members, why don't THEY do something about it? Exactly WHICH original TP do you mean?

I don't see that it was stolen from anyone. It just happened. And no, the TP is NOT an organized political party like the dems or the GOP. There are leaders of the many many different groups, but there is no one leader of the whole shebang. I thought that was common knowledge by now..........

And if my TP group is bought and paid for, then please, let me know who is REALLY running it, I'd like to know!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No, 29, it is bash the Tea Party Patriots. Which, as far as I can tell in the emails I get from them, we are all on the same page. Why not attack the Tea Party Express and Freedomworks? They are all in the "fight" together.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010