How do you get your kids to help more around the house without birbery ?

msbrewton

Asked by msbrewton at 9:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't GIVE them things, I TAKE them away! They don't keep their room clean, then I take things like Ipods, Cell phones, radios, computer time, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't know if you consider an "allowance" a bribery or not. In our house each child (15 & 16 now) has a list of chores. They have to turn in their filled out chore chart at the end of each week to get paid their "COMMISSION" (what we call it at our house). If they don't turn in the form they don't get paid. We stopped calling it "allowance" when we went through the Financial Peace University (Dave Ramsey's program). He encourages paying them according to the work they do - like a job. That is why it is called a commission.

Like it or not money is a motivator. HTH
    MyKidsSccrMom

Answer by MyKidsSccrMom at 9:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I like the idea of kids working to earn money, but they also are a p0art of the family and responsible for helping the family function so i'm not against negative reinforcement- make it more uncomfortable for them to be irresponsible than it is for them to be responsible
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My kids are still fairly young, so I don't expect too much of them, but I do expect them to pick up after themselves. I once vacuumed up a matchbox car, and now they flip out any time I bring out the vacuum cleaner. All I have to say is that I'm going to vacuum and they run around picking everything up. Other than that, if they don't do what I expect, I take things away.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• chore chart with fun incentives
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If they don't do what they are supposed to, then they don't get things that they want. It's that simple. And if they continue to refuse to do things, they start losing things and have to do what they were supposed to do in the first place, plus a little extra, in order to earn them back.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 19, 2010