Would you say something if you went over to your husband's grandmother's house and you saw he's son whose 8 acting up until he got what he wanted?

My husband's son live's with he's grandparent's, they don't want him to leave. The other day the boy's greatgrandma bought my daughter a toy. When he got home from school he insisted on someone taking him to the store to get a toy for him b/c she got one. He was screaming all over the place that it was'nt fair and formed what I call a "show", until he got what he wanted. I felt so uncomfortable, in front of he's father he would never behave like this. I would so want to intervine like if he was my own (b/c that at 8 yr's old would not be exceptable or at any age) but don't know if I should. To me he's very immature and get's away with everything when he's father's not there.

2precious2

Asked by 2precious2 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tough spot...I don't think you should have said anything to the child or the grandparents, it would be a waste of your time, I'm sure the grandparents know how spoiled they have made this child. Sometimes when grandparents raise their grandchildren this happens, because grandparents are sappose to be able to occasionally spoil their grandchildren, but then they go home and get the discpline they need from their parents, but when they live with the grandparents the spoiling gets way out of control.This makes a child feel insecure, because actually they are in charge and that makes them nervous and unsure of things.That's why they act out like they do. I think maybe you should talk to you dh about it, but if he isn't willing and you aren't in agreement with it..to take the child back....then there really isn't much you can do.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I would have told him to knock it off and act his age.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I am raising a grandson and thou he may have a few extra's he WILL not act like that. He is well mannered and well behaved... he is well liked in and out of school and he is only 7. If I had seen that (being a grandmother of 6 and raising one) I would have without any uncertain terms would have told him to "Knock it Off" period.
    Yes I think you should have a say... but that is a call that you will have to make...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• naw, there's not much difference it's going to make. It takes lifestyle to train a kid to act like that. One mention isn't going to change the pattern of years and years.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• if the grandparents are the primary care givers you have no right to say say anything. sucks but that's the way it is
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2008