please answer me a tooth question! (my son is 5 1/2)

OK so he has 1 very very loose tooth that's more wiggly every day. He's been brushing himself most nights but since he ate raisins I wanted to take over tonight. I saw something behind the wiggly tooth at a funky diagonal angle and was like WTF and he said its been there for days he thought it was food and has been scrubbing the heck out of it. Upon closer inspection it's a tooth, I assume an adult one. What does it mean that its coming in before the baby tooth has fallen out? Is this a warning that his teeth are going to be jacked up and require uber dental work?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think it's normal for the adult teeth to begin appearing before the baby teeth are completely out . . . at least this has been the case with my 6 year old. Her teeth also look crooked. I don't know if she'll need dental work in the future. I think it's hard to tell untill all the teeth are in. I figure there is no need to stress . . . it is what it is.
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 10:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Nah. My son's teeth came in all weird and they're straightening out fine.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The adult teeth are what pushes the baby teeth out.. so no, it's not weird. Just means his baby tooth will be out real soon, especially if it's wiggling more and more each day. :)
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 10:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Adult teeth usually start peeking out before the baby tooth is fully out. As for the dentist being able to tell about no orthodontics from an xray - he's not qualified for that - only an orthodontist is. And even then they can't always tell from the xrays because teeth have a mind of their own.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• A couple of my son's teeth did that and we just had to eventually pull out the baby teeth that were so loose. and the dentist tells me now at 9 within the year he will probably loose the rest of his baby teeth.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Perfectly normal...his adult tooth is pushing the baby tooth out. Maybe the baby tooth needs to be pulled to make room for the adult tooth...call the dentist and ask, but it's nothing to freak out over :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:44 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• PS - the reason I'm slightly spazzing out is 'cuz he sees a fantastic pediatric dentist and at his last xrays I was told how lucky I was... his full set of baby teeth/molars are perfectly aligned and the adult teeth would follow in line and that it was highly unlikely he'd need so much as a retainer. :(
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I had full top/bottom dentures by age 23 done in a hospital OR after some hidden teeth abscesses made my blood go septic and almost took my life. It was actually not the 1st time I'd been hospitalized for teeth issues needing IV antibiotics....my mouth is a genetic nightmare. So I am very anal about my kids teeth. Plus we're not like rich or anything so if he needs special dental work I wanna save now, today. My daughter who is 4, has a special savings acct. just for the special work we've been told she'll need. She had a thumb sucking problem and now everything is aligned poorly. But my son.... he was supposed to be my golden boy!!!!! Life is easier (and certainly less painful) w/ good teeth.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It just means his adult tooth is coming in before the baby tooth falls out. It is coming in at a weird angle because the baby tooth isn't out yet. Also, thumb sucking does not causing poorly aligned teeth. My son has never sucked his thumb and his teeth are horribly aligned. I know someone who sucked their thumb until they were 12 years old and they have perfectly straight teeth. Crooked teeth is more genetic than anything.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would not stress if you have a great dentist that you trust and he has been doing x-rays. He knows what he is talking about.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:31 AM on Sep. 19, 2010