My daughter is nothing like I imagined, what to do?

She is lazy, stubborn child who does not interested in either reading or writing. She has so strong will of not doing it, or doing it her way, i don't know....help. i feel so depressed, plus she got a really bad teacher at school, i feel that what is she doing is collecting gaps. In addition we are immigrants and our own English is not perfect.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You could ask for special help at the school. Maybe taking her to the book store... and letting her pick the books, or... maybe coloring books with a story line =]
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 10:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Figure out how to hire a tutor for her. Someone that can help with her language skills and that can make the reading, writing, and math fun.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I feel ya. My twins have to be pushed just to do the bare minimum. I am not giving up. Just hang in there with her and I'll hang on with mine.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Go to the school's counselor or principal. Discuss your child and what you are seeing at home. Talk about your concerns. They can help you! Don't give up because your child can not afford to have a year where they aren't learning and moving ahead. You don't want them to get behind. It is next to impossible to catch up without repeating that grade. Ask now and get help started.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I am already looking her for the tutor, this is not a question. she loves math and doing really good in math. books are not interesting for her, even though i read her every day, she just fall asleep. She reads small BOB books, but school says her level is 4, while it is average elsewhere in this school it is very low.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Hmm, maybe she does not like her teacher or she is not adjusting well. Perhaps the school could enlighten you on her issues or have her go to counseling. She may be depressed, my DD was like that!
    Best of luck to you!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:31 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Yes, she does not like her teacher and she is not adjusting well, the school enlightens me every day... but does not do anything....they r not ready to change her class or teacher, there is no counselors. and she might be depressed, well, because i am...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Sep. 19, 2010