I need ideas for an adoption celebration!

The child i call my DS1 has had a long hard life for being almost 6 years old. He started out in life as being my second cousin (my cousins child) and then became my little brother (my mom adopted him) and now our adoption process is finally near completion which will legally make him my son (my mom died).

When my mom adopted him she had a few people (including myself) at court with her, and then we all went out to dinner. But i'd like to do something different. Something more meaningful. Not a party (we don't have the money for one right now anyways). Just something different that DS1 and i (and family members too, maybe) can store away amongst our treasured memories.

Ideas?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 10:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Adoption

• sorry if this doesnt sound unique or special enough, but maybe have a few close friends and family members with a "mini party" and dinner. What does your son to be like to do? even if its a surprise celebration for him, he may still be able to give some ideas towards an awesome time. Good luck and congratulations!!!!!!!
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• He likes all kinds of art. (theater, music etc)
    He likes being read to.
    He likes lots of physical activity.
    outstandingLove

Comment by outstandingLove (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• He has had a hard road. Poor little guy. Since he is older this is a day to remember. If this was me: we would plant a tree and read a fitting poem. The speech would be about laying down roots, tangled but together. Strong and firm as the tree lasting hundreds of years through many generations. Tree a represents our love and growth as a family. Then a special dinner with an engraved treasure box for his special items. That would be how I would do it for an older child. I would also include two doves to be released at the tree site to represent his other two previous mothers.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:04 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The tree idea is so great! For an inexpensive celebration, consider inviting friends and family, baking a homemade cake and grilling hot dogs and burgers. If it is warm enough, put a sprinkler on. Have every family member make a homemade card with construction paper telling him their favorite thing about him and why they are so excited to have him in the family.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 9:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• wow those answers above mine gave me the chills:) They are awesome ideas. The tree & family telling him what makes him a special part of the family is just wonderful!
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 11:35 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Love those ides too. Make a special pillowcase, photo display, his life story so far and your hopes and and dreams for his life and what your legacy is that he will now carry. let him feel how many people have his back with family and friends pledging to support him no matter what.......and to take an interest in his education (which can be fast if he is in 1st grade already) .
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I was going to say something similar to surfcitymom. I was thinking that you could make him a memory book with photos of important people in his life (past and present), then give it to him on your special day. I've been following what you've shared here during this process, and I am VERY happy for you that you have been able to make this happen! Congratulations!!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• You could use the Tree Planting idea and let him and some of his friends make decorations to put on the tree. You said he likes art so he would be able to draw somehting meaningful, maybe something to do with your family. They could have fun and it would mean so much as well.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i really do like the tree planting idea!!
    have a special picnic with close family and friends and plant a tree! talk about your feelings about this adoption... share stories of when he was younger and may not remember... ask friends or family to say something about him and the adoption and your family

in fact when we, as a military family, finally settle down i will plant a tree on our special family day, 25 Sept the day our adoption was finalized and a beautiful little girl became my daughter!!!
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 1:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Plant a tree, do a memory/scrap book and have a few people over to release balloons. Get 3x5 cards and have each person write a wish and attach to the balloons. Then release them all at the same time. Take photos of the day and they can also go into the memory book. :) CONGRATS!!!
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2010