I need ideas for an adoption celebration!

The child i call my DS1 has had a long hard life for being almost 6 years old. He started out in life as being my second cousin (my cousins child) and then became my little brother (my mom adopted him) and now our adoption process is finally near completion which will legally make him my son (my mom died).

When my mom adopted him she had a few people (including myself) at court with her, and then we all went out to dinner. But i'd like to do something different. Something more meaningful. Not a party (we don't have the money for one right now anyways). Just something different that DS1 and i (and family members too, maybe) can store away amongst our treasured memories.

Ideas?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 10:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Make a scrap book together to celebrate family. Use photos and school work and keep sakes. Maybe everyone in the family can draw a picture put in the book. Cook a special dinner together.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• How about a gathering where family members write down one thing (or more) about what makes him special/why you love him, then put them in a box that you decorated just for him. You could put pictures, trinkets, etc., also. You could have the gathering at a park or other place that might have meaning to you all. Maybe go for a hike up a small mountain and do the box thing at the top!
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 10:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Have a pizza party. A cake decorated with his name. Read a book about adoption or start a keepsake book http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=61  Write a letter to him about the day or being excited to be his mom and things you look forward to.  Play music like "we are family" or a song with his name. 

I love you books http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=50 that you can read together every night at bed.

Here is some traditions you can start with him http://www.cjkidz.com/traditions.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thanks for your ideas momjs.

He's already been living with me for a year and a half. He calls me mom and we already do things like game night and such. :) And i scrapbook so a lot of the keepsake stuff will be covered, in time. :)
    outstandingLove

Comment by outstandingLove (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Aww Just wanted to say congrats and best of luck :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I am about to make a post about our adoption party and celebration. Hopefully Tomorrow, and with plenty of pictures. Hopefully it will give you some good Ideas. Hopefully soon we will be having another one for our youngest son, but that will have to be different because his bio mom will be included in the ceremony some how.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:52 AM on Sep. 27, 2010