What would you do if you almost 18 year old son was dating a 14 year old girl?

I think my son who is almost 18 and is a Freshmen in college is seeing a 14 year old freshmen in highschool. I asked him about it and he just says "leave it alone". I then told him that it is illegal for him to do anything with her. I think this girls mother is aware of it because she took him out to dinner with her family, to me that is very strange.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• well he is 18 so you cant really do anything about it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well he's 17 and she's 14 so there isn't much of a difference there. It just all of a sudden looks bad if he turns 18. I would just tell him the trouble he can get into if the parents press charges. That can ruin his life. Other then that he's becoming an adult and needs to make his own mistakes and deal with the consequences.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• you should sit him down with you and your husband and make it clear how bad that is, not only morally but also its illegal. you need to be stern and your his parent, tell him he is NOT allowed to date her, call her parents. do something
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Encourage him to stop before he ends up doing jail time and possibly is made into a convicted sexual predator! What does a man his age want with a child of 14?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would kick his ass! I don't really have any advice other than KICK HIS ASS! lol

Good Luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Nope, I think she isn't even the age of consent. I would have a conversation with the mother of the girl. Let him know you are going to do it too. Yes, he is an adult and 18, but they don't always think they can get into trouble. But one unplanned pregnancy or a bad break up and he could end up sitting in jail!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Nothing will happen to him. It's not far enough of an age difference to do anything about it. Especially if mom, isn't objecting. It would only be an issue if she pressed charges, and they wouldn't stick anyway if she knew the whole time and didn't stop it. Maybe she just figures it'll run it's course rather that fight it all the way and drag it out.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• There is a HUGE difference between a child just out of junior high and an "almost" adult in college. It needs to end now.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Age of consent here is 16. Check with your states' law in regards to consent.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• He can be charged with statutory rape. He is older than her. There would be NO way I would allow my 17 yr old to date a 14 yr old, that is just asking for trouble. The girls family may be ok with it now, but he screws up and they will be the first to press charges. It may not be much of an age difference but it is still illegal. In some states it doesn't matter that it is only 3 years, he is still older and she is still under the age of consent. Most states, the age of consent is 18. Google your state to find out for sure. Also, he is in college, she is just starting high school. The maturity levels and activity levels are too different.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010