Ovarian Cysts

omg i have to say this is so painfulllll...i feel at times that i live at the hospital due to my ovarian cysts...does anyone have tips to make it not feel like your whole insides are going to come out...other then surgery...i have had 3 c-sections and a lot of proplems with every surgery so i dont want to get it...but at the same time dont want to keep dealing with this...

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 10:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Health

• Hate to tell you this, but the best advice I can give you is to... have a hysterectomy and have them taken out.. Especially if they are continual and constant. Otherwise, certain birth control pills can help keep you from getting cysts. But, I ended up having surgery, but took 3 surgeries to get it done. Hopefully, if they know ahead of time what they are doing, they can do it all at one time... uterus, L & R ovary and all cysts... The problem you will end up with is if they do only one surgery at a time, is abdominal adhesions which can cause cyst surgery to be very hard, and the ovaries very hard to get out... My last one was adhered to my bowel. I had 5 cyst surgeries and a hysterectomy before they were all done.. Good Luck... Being young tho', they may need at least 3 different OB-GYN's approvals to do a total hysterectomy. I have a bleeding disorder, so I was high risk at every surgery, and anemic w/ blood transfusions
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 10:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Some say birth control pills will help. I don't know. I've had them too and they suck! Mine ruptured on their own. It hurt that day and two days after but went way after that.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I can tell you what happened to me. I had an ovarian cyst that would swell every so often and usually they would go in and put a needle into the sac and drain it. Well, I noticed the area swelling on a Monday, by Thursday I went to my GP who scheduled me for an ultrasound the next day. I was doubled over in pain on Friday, made it through the day at work, went to my appointment and found out that my cyst ruptured. I had to have emergency surgery. It took me out of work for 4 weeks and when I went back, I was PT for another 2-3 weeks. It really wasn't fun, especially because they weren't sure what they were dealing with at the time with the severe pain and because of that, they had a Internist do my surgery, not an OB. The Internist took my fallopian tube out in the surgery because she needed to remove all of the mass. It didn't do anything for my fertility, thankfully, but it could have worked out better. cont...
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 10:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Now that the cyst is gone completely, I no longer have pain. It was worth the couple weeks worth of pain to get passed this and never have the pain anymore. If they recommend it, I think having a doctor that is going in knowing exactly what they need to remove would be a lot easier than waiting for it to rupture. I bet mine would have been a lot easier if it had worked out that way, with an OB surgeon, the cyst had ruptured, etc. Recovery time would have been shorter too. The surgery itself is way simpler than a c-section and you are out the entire time. Like I said, if your doctor recommends it, I'd do it. If they don't think it's a good option, definitely don't do it. But it really could help.

Best wishes, whatever you decide to do. It's a horrible thing to deal with, you have my sympathy.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 10:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't regret surgery at all. My quality of life was very low because the on going pain made me so tired I would rather sit on the couch and be thirsty than get up and get water. I was crabby, irritable, and lazy. I finally went in for surgery. What a relief! I can;t believe I didn't do it sooner. It's way less invasive than a c section by far. I have a tiny scar on my belly button, that's it. Anything was better than living like that. The ER visits were getting $$$$ for me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• omg thanks i have had this for so long it goes away then out of nothing it comes back...the e.r. gives me pain meds that's it...i am the kind of person that can tolerate pain well but omg this pain is hell...

iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• have you talked with your doctor?
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 11:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• As far as I know, I have only ever had 1 and it burst and was horrible. I was on the floor in tears. My son had to get my cell and call my husband who came home and took me to the hospital. I hope to never experience that ever again.

So, I totally feel your pain, but unfortunately, other then sympathizing with you, I can't really help. I would call your GYN and ask what alternative treatments there are
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Also, if you can tolerate the pain well, then only use the pain meds when you really need to. I am like you. I don't like to take pills unless I really have to, so my meds tend to expire before I can use them all
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2010