How long does a block of cheese kept in a zip lock bag stay good in the fridge?

I have a block of cheddar and a block of mozzarella and I was just wondering how long they should stay good.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• what i do for it to last longer is wrap it in paper towel to absorb any moisture that would make it mold quicker (i'm sure you notice some moisture in or on the bag sometimes) . so i wrap it in paper towel THEN put it in a ziplock bag. i've been doing it for years && never get moldy cheese :)
    JazziesMom2010

Answer by JazziesMom2010 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I always go by if it's moldy too...if it's not moldy i smell it to see if smells fine then take a lil bite then if it's still good eat it.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I know you should go by the date but I always eat it as long as it looks like regular moisture and no mold.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Until it gets moldy. So if it is more than you can use put half of it in the freezer.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 1-2 weeks
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Try using aluminum foil instead. It keeps the cheese much fresher than just a regular zip lock bag. I find that keeps the block cheese viable for up to 3 weeks.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 10:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I was wondering because we used most of it last weekend, and it still smells and looks fine. I was thinking it was 1-2 weeks, also, but wanted to check.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010