How much & what to feed 9 pound dog?

I found a small dog at the train station while I was picking up a relative. I have a bag of Pedigree Small Bits dry food. Plus some cans of Mighty Dog wet food. I'd prefer it be mostly on dry food. I've never had a tiny dog before so I really need to know how much it should eat daily. If you are in the Antelope Valley area and want to adopt, contact me.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 10:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Pets

• When we got our 8 pd puppy we were told 1/2 cup twice a day was plenty. She very seldom ate all of it, and with the food chart on the bag of food, it should tell you to change the amout as it grows, Pedigree is a good brand we have used it. Our dog doesn't like a lot of just dry food, so we mix a little of the Mighty Dog wet food in with it. Good Luck w/the puppy.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Start with about a 1/2 cup 2-3 times a day
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i would say about 1/2 a cup twice a day.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You can keep it on the dry food, if it is a puppy moisten it up with some water. The deal is to feed the dog the food it will eat. SO if it eats a 1/2 cup with in 3-10 minutes then that is good. If it leaves it go back a little.
    It the dog gobbles it up in a minute give a bit more. Then pick up what ever they don't eat.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i would think it would have to be on the bag of food. perhaps like 1/2 cup of food a day and see how it goes.
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 11:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• our chiwawa is 8 pounds and she only eats about a half a cup of dry dog food a day, half in the am and half at dinner time. and shes pretty chubby.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Most dog food bags have the weight to amount chart on them. Of course my dog is a very chunky Cockerspaniel! LOL!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• One cup a day for a nine pound dog is quite enough, unless he's underweight! Our 70lb dog gets three cups a day during the summer, two and a half cups a day during the winter. I feed my dog a mix of Avoderm, California Natural, and Diamond; no by-products, no corn, no fillers.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Oh and m-avi just reminded me, the feeding charts on the back of the dog food bags are usually too much food for your dog; my dog's feeding chart says 4 cups a day; he gets 2-3 and he maintains his weight perfectly!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You could just look on the bag of food and look at his weight on the chart and go from there. If you see it is too much or too little you can increase or decrease. My Doxie gets 2 cups of dry, he is rather active...my Shiba Inu also gets two cups, she just lays around and 2 cups has helped her maintain a healthy body weight
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:07 AM on Sep. 19, 2010