Would you ever be a surrogate mother?

I have a really random train of thought, and somehow I started thinking about surrogate mothers. I just don't know if I could do it. I mean, if it was for my sister, yes. I'd do it in a heartbeat. But for a stranger or just a friend? I don't know. I just know how in love I was with Gage when I was pregnant with him, and I can't help but think that any woman would fall in love with a baby that they carried for 40 weeks. Can you imagine having the baby & then handing it over to the parents?

What's your take on this? Could you do it?

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 9:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• THAT'S A REALLY TOUGH ? i WOULD LIKE TO THINK I WOULD BUT I THINK I'D WANT TO KEEP IT, MINE OR NOT.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• That is why we would only work with a surrogate that was dedicated to the cause,without such thoughts.
    Think of the gift your giving and knowing the baby is not yours from the start and think of the parents you would hurt if you kept it.
    If you can't do that than your in it for the wrong reasons.
    Anonymous

• Well I'd like to think I could, because that's a wonderful thing to do for another person...but honestly if I carried the baby for 9 months, then gave birth to it, I don't think I'd be able to give it away. Maybe...just maybe, I'd do it for my sisterl...well not now, if I were younger maybe. Actually when I was younger and had just had my 4th child, my middle sister still didn't have any children, and she jokingly asked me if I'd have a baby for her....I said NO WAY, I'm getting my tubes tied...ask Jen (our other sister) ...but I didn't seriously think about it...but thankfully, a few years later she had a baby boy...made her so happy....he is spoiled rotten!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I dont know my sister wanted me to do it for her but I dont think I would be able to do it
    Anonymous

• Poster Two said it best to answer the question.
    You would not pass the screening if you had such doubts to be a surrogate.
    Also,maybe if you had no biological connection as well as knowing it was not yours but for someone else would help.
    Such as a gestational surrogacy (Not your eggs) versus traditional (your eggs)
    Anonymous

• One of my friends had ovarian cancer and there was a possibilty of her not having kids. I told her I would be a surrogate mother for her. I think I would because I know how much I love my little one and I would want other women to feel the way I do now. It would just be hard giving the baby up.
    Proud_Mommy_09

Answer by Proud_Mommy_09 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I could do gestational surrogacy for my sister or sister in law (she's been my best friend since middle school). That's it. I could never use my eggs - because that would make it my baby and I could NOT give it away. But if I were simply carrying their baby, I could and would in a heart beat.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I think I could do it if it wasn't my egg but I would be sad and could see a struggle with depression being possible.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• That is why potential surrogates get screened not only for thier physical but mental health and sometimes there homes get checked to make sure they would be a good candidate for such a process since so many lives would be affected by this.
    The intended parents invest allot and should know what they are getting will be the best.
    Anonymous

• Also if potentail surrogates have a criminal record they can get denied or a spouse they live with is not acceptable.
    Anonymous