Help! My 15 month old son is constipated and screaming!

About an hour ago, my son woke up and started screaming like he was in pain. I immediately felt him straining and his abdomen tightening so I knew he was constipated. We tried massage, a warm bath, apple juice, water and finally a babylax. He had a small BM with the baby lax and we could see him trying to push a larger one out. He is now flailing his legs uncontrollably and dh is giving him another warm bath. WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO?! HE'S SCREAMING IN PAIN :*(

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG...my dd had this problem when she was a baby. I freaked out because like you I had tried everything...I called her dr, and he said bring her in..so I did, and he stuck a thermomater in her rectum and it made her finally pass the stool!!! After that the dr said to give her Metamucal once a day in her bottle...she wouldn't drink it. So once a day I gave her apple juice, this seemed to stop it from happening again, she has had issues since, but not that bad. She is 13 years old now, and I still give her apple juice to help her go.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Have you tried prune juice?
    CarsonsMomma111

Answer by CarsonsMomma111 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I dont have any prune juice in my house, I wish I did! We just moved and we dont have a store near here. Any other ideas? Maybe I will try the rectal thermometer... he's screaming in pain, still. We don't know what else to do. We tried 'vibrating' him in a chair in addition to the other things I stated and that made him pass gas, but he still hasnt passed the bm.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i was told pear juice
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 9:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• THE THERMOMETER WORKED!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2008