Have you ever told your child - Thanks just for being there?

Excerpts of viewpoint by Jaime O'Neill published in the Sacramento Bee:
I take my morning walk, regarding my shadow as I go, a silent companion wearing headphones. The music I am listening to is sung in French, a language I cannot speak.
The CD I am listening to was given to me by my daughter, a woman who has lived in France for most of her adult life. I gave her life, and she has made much of that gift. In doing so, she has given me great gift; her pleasures resonate in my soul even more keenly than my own.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 11:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Every day in some way. We have a special song I sing every night to hm that says how amazed I am we found each other. My husband and I adopted our son so each day we are very aware how parenthood is so fragile and wonderful.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:09 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I love this. My mom and I have had ups and downs, but she is one of my best friends, and she has told me she loves watching me raise my daughter! <3
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I got a text at midnight from my dad tonight. He is at a retirement party and had to ask for sports stats to win an argument. I know he and his friends are talking about their children and the colleges they went to. I know he takes so much joy in "bragging" about his kids. I know he would not be where he is in his life without me and my siblings.

This is the reason I wanted children. My daughter is so awesome. I know I will have many retirement parties where I get to brag on her success and feel the real worth of my time and love.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• my kids are only 4 & 6... i tell them all the time that I am so happy they are my kids, I tell them I am lucky to have them... and I am!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I THANK MY KIDS FOR BEEING IN MY LIFE EVERY NIGHT AT BEDTIME...THEY ARE MY GREATEST GIFT OF ALL...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• She is generous in sharing her pleasures. If she has a wonderful day, she will tell me of it in an e-mail, describe what she saw, what she ate, and the slant of light as it strikes the apartment building across from hers. I savor the food she eats, I watch the movie she has seen through her eyes, and together we share the setting sun 6,000 miles from where I sit dreaming her life.

The culture we live in marinates us in guilt toward our parents, with lots of sentiment about the sacrifices made by mothers and fathers in bringing up kids who are often portrayed as ingrates and ne'er-do-wells. And some of them surely are. But for lucky parents like me, the return on the investment of time, love and money is enormous, and the emotional and intellectual interest I've earned is incalculable.
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My wife and I gave her life, but she gave us a broader world. She gave us France, of course, in ways we could never have known that wonderful country had she not moved there. I have traveled with her both vicariously and in actuality, seeing places I might never have seen but for her questing spirit.

But for any grown "children" who may be toting the burden of guilt about all your parents gave you in order to bring you up, you might consider how much richer their worlds are because you are in them.

Tomorrow I will take my morning walk again, listening to a French song I cannot understand, though my heart will know it well. It was a gift from my daughter.
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No, my DD is spoiled & self centered. I am hoping one day that will change :((
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:35 AM on Sep. 19, 2010