When Is It Safe To Use Tampons After A C-Section?

Well I had my second C-Section on August 10th, I was just wondering when's is it ok to use Tampons? I was only bleeding for about 2 weeks after the C-Section, and now I just started bleeding again, Not to sure if it's still from the C-Section or if it's a normal period?

joanna13

Asked by joanna13 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Health

• I'd ask a doctor. Your cervix still opens up and dialates after a c section to expel fluids from the pregnancy.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would think since your cervix didn't dialate, that there is no risk of infection. I used tampons 2wks after a vaginal birth - I was barely spotting, but I wanted to go swimming, my OB was fine with it. Since the bleeding has almost stopped, he felt the cervix was closed enough that the risk was minimal and I only used them for swimming and pantliners the rest of the time
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The hormones that are in your system after giving birth dialate the cervix wether you had a c sec or not. You are still at risk for infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thanks!!!
    joanna13

Comment by joanna13 (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I got right back on the tampons on my first period afterwards.
    akamomof275847

Answer by akamomof275847 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• about 6 weeks. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:55 AM on Sep. 19, 2010