What does depression physically feel like?

i know your emotional/mental state can affect what you feel physically....so what does it feel like? i think i have depression...and i feel like visually I can't focus...like tunnel vision that reflects my restless mind....and i'm aching and tired all the time. i also feel like i'm on medication...like drowsy/tired, and like i'm floating through life. almost like that feeling you get on an overcast day.
i do know that there's a lot of stuff i'm thinking of and emotional over, but could these physical feelings be signs of depression?
what can I do about this and has anyone else felt this way? any advice would be welcome as longs as it's respectful....thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Health

• For me it feels like I'm overly tired... Everything is sore and I just don't have the energy to get up and do anything. Now, that's for me, I have fibromyalgia as well as BiPolar Depression - If the Fibromyalgia makes my depression feel differently, I don't know but I would think it does.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• for me i was just tired. so tired! i couldnt ever sleep and had no energy. i would ache all over. and i had problems focusing too.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
    Loss of interest in daily activities. No interest in former hobbies, pastimes, social activities, or sex. You’ve lost your ability to feel joy and pleasure.
    Appetite or weight changes. Significant weight loss or weight gain a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month.
    Sleep changes. Either insomnia, or oversleeping.
    Irritability or restlessness. Feeling agitated, restless, or on edge. Your tolerance level is low; everything and everyone gets on your nerves.
    Loss of energy.
    Self-loathing. Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. You harshly criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
    Concentration problems.
    Trouble focusing
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• What you described can be symptoms of depression but really it just sounds like your're under a lot of stress and aren't getting enough good sleep. Stress and depression can have the same physical effects, but the difference is the emotional symptoms like the feeling of hopelessness, worthlessness, etc. that last for a longer period of time and don't go away when the stress goes away. It is very easy to confuse stress with actual depression if you aren't very familiar with it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I had headache, backache, nausea, diarrhea & chest pain. I was always exhausted but could never sleep. I was constanly worried about everything and cried all the time. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. When I went thru it I saw a therapist and it helped to have someone to talk to that at least pretended to understand. Good luck. .......................Also I was also dealing with an anxiety disorder so all of mine wasn't just from depression
    Nattiesmom10

Answer by Nattiesmom10 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• headaches
    exhaustion
    chest pain
    jittery feeling
    muscle aches/joint pain
    loss of focus
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• wow everything you just listed is exactly how i feel on a day to day basis. I'm glad there are other's going through what I am psychologically and physically going through, although I am sorry to hear your experiencing this because I don't wish it on anyone, being a victim of depression. I think the mind plays a huge role in how our body feels physically, I believe those symptoms you listed above are a mixutre of both depression as well as stress. Anti depressants are there and can work for some, but not for all. I think if you don't want to be medicated you should try seeing a therapist or someone you trust and can open up about things that are bothering you emotionally. We all have inverted feelings and emotions that don't often show, unfortunately they do show up in our body and we have to deal with phsycialy pains if not treated. Talking about things has help ileviate my vision, head pressure problems, palpations everythin
    quasimadre

Answer by quasimadre at 4:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2013