What is worth a spanking?

Name something you would absolutely spank your child for? (obviously not intended for non spankers, no offense, but just curious...) and I do spank when necessary.

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Violence towards others, dangerous actions (licking an outlet, playing with the stove, running in the road, etc.), actions which put others in danger, intentionally being destructive to property... And any time they continue to disobey after other disciplinary actions have been exhausted...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Depends on what you mean by spanking. I'll give my two-year old one little swat on the butt when he's not listening to me (he always says "uh oh, mama! boo boo!" when I do LOL) But I don't think any behavior requires a full on over-the-knee spanking. I think there's always another way to deal with it.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 11:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Sabrina hit the nail right on the head!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i agree with sabrina.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Totally agree with Sabrina! If dd puts herself in danger, like running in the road... I NEED her to know she can never do that again I will spank her. I don't spank as a regular method of discipline, so I bet that will get her attention and she'll never do it again!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Ditto. Sabrina pretty much said it. I spanked my daughter for running out in the street. If kids are getting ready to put themselves or others in harm's way, a swat on the bootie beats a visit to the hospital or morgue! She was about 4 at the time, never ever did that again. She raised her hand to me once. I repeat - once.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Wow.. just thinking of answering but i haven't spanked my older kids in a long time... now my 4 year old i just did today and it was for throwing a fit and telling let her go when i pick her up... i popped her on the butt with my hand and sat her in her room she crying for 2 secs.. then was back to her sweet self lol.....
    Cynt1020

Answer by Cynt1020 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i would have to say bad mouthing that is a no no in my house hold so bad mouthing talking back
    elle2hot4u

Answer by elle2hot4u at 5:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Oh come on, nobody said beat the child senseless. I was spanked as a child and I thank my parents for it. Never anything traumatic, just a little swat to say "Im serious now". Kids push their boundaries constantly. I always knew that when I did something wrong, I'd get punished, it's over with and my parents aren't mad at me for extended periods of time. A spanking usually follows after many warnings. Most of the time, by the second warning, I'd stop whatever I was doing wrong because I knew I only got 3 warnings. :)
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 8:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• if the child is going to hurt himself or put himself in danger
    if the child is going to hurt another child or animal
    if the child is just completely hysterical.
    these are the only instances in which I spank.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010