Two-year old with chronic diarrhea adult content

So, my two-year old son almost NEVER has a solid poop. It ranges from being a thick, oatmeal-like consistency to something not much thicker than water (it's usually the former... the latter type is only when he's sick and it's AWFUL).

We have already consulted our pediatrician. I had to give them a few stool samples and they did all kinds of tests and everything came back normal. He assured me that if it was something serious, like celiac disease, it would result in a failure to thrive, and that obviously isn't the case here. My son is very healthy, active and happy.

Before you comment, I know all about the BRAT diet (but the kid can't LIVE on those four things alone), he's not lactose-intolerant, and I make sure to limit his juice intake and keep him hydrated with water and Pedialyte.

Just wondering if any other mommies out there deal with this sort of thing. there doesn't seem to be a reason for this! Share your thoughts!

arouthier

Asked by arouthier at 11:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would maybe seek the help of a Pediatric Gastroenterologist. They specialize in this sort of thing and might be able to get you some answers or find a solution that is helpful with the diarrhea but also provides adequate nutrion. Poor baby! Good luck!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• sure sounds like a lactose intolerance to me. Cut out milk, liquid milk for week and see what happens.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:10 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Is your little one eating and then running around way too much? It could be over exertion and not enough "down time." Usually diareah is a symptom of something else. Perhaps an enlarged colon? Maybe illiac or villi problems. Maybe absorption is lacking due to an "off" of minerals, or too much iron in the milk. 2 yr old are perhaps getting too old for whole milk from cows.

Try to add yogurt to your little one's diet. If this is persistent I'd be surprised after trying yogurt that it would be still a problem, yogurt has the right balance of good bacterias.
    Keep in mind little intestines are still getting bombarded with new actions, and still grow daily inside. Iron can wreck havoc.
    Did you ever hear of carob powder.
    It's a form of like a cocoa with no caffeine at all. It's an organic powder that has huge benefits for diareah. I read this today that it helps to counteract the imbalance of diareah.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• carob powder has magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:18 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I agree with Ash9724 to seek the advice of a Pediatric Gastroenterologist. Even if you just call the office and speek to the nuse or something and see what they suggest. I would try to do something. It does not sound normal to me and I would be concerned that your son's regular doctor does not think it is is unusual. Good luck Momma, I hope you get this taken care of.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I DO! We deal with it with my son and he see a pedi GI. We have found that soy does it to him, he has a milk and soy protein intolerance and it causes blood in his stool too (sometimes you can't see it and other times it's the black coffee grounds looking stuff in his poop). My sons pedi did many many many tests and couldn't find anything and GI did the same thing and at one point they found he had coronavirus even after we took out the soy. But after that left he did good. But my sons stoll is just like you are describing yours. We have been having to take soy and milk back out of his diet. I would try that and see if it helps. But definitily see a pediatri GI.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 11:26 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would take him into a GI as well. You may also want to look into a gluten sensitivity, or Celiac disease. What you're describing sounds similar to that. Good luck!
    bamsmom2001

Answer by bamsmom2001 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'd remove dairy and gluten just to see if he improves. Try it for three weeks, it can't hurt.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It sounds like a food intolerance, but idk what kind. My nephew had similar problem, and when he was 3 or 4, they realized he is gluten intolerant. My sis switched his diet and he's doing much better.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We have had our two year old to a GI specialist since he was a baby for reflux and now the chronic diarrhea. He has had the upper and lower scopes with biopsies... Everything was negative! He did have c-diff which is not common and often not tested for. That is something to check but we have no answers either. My hubby and I are considering calling an allergist Monday as he is having another "flair up"...
    chaosof5

Answer by chaosof5 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2011