Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot dogs sparking?

I bought these hot dogs the other day and the first few hot dogs i cooked in the microwave for my son came out with a few burn spots on them. I figured the extra juice made the burn spots(they were cut up). Then today I put a cut up hot dog in the microwave again and watched it cook and immediately sparks started going from the hot dogs as well as catching on fire a bit. I stopped the microwave and I used a normal microwave save plate and havent had any problems with any other food on the same place. nothing was inthe microwave but the hot dogs and i stopped the microwave and told my husband and he thinks that maybe metal got in to the hot dogs in the grinder where they are made. I just contacted the company and sent an email explaining everything. what worries me is that my son has already had a few that I know of. I am a little worried. What do you think it could be? Have you ever had hot dogs do that?

 
djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 9 (302 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • No that is not the case. We had bought some chicken that you just pop in the microwave. They were frozen. They sparked too. What causes that is food rich in cholesterol, especially when taken out of the fridge.
    m-avi

    Answer by m-avi at 11:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • Your husbands theory would be my only guess but I think the metal pieces would have had to have been large enough for you to see or your son to notice when he ate them. And if it was going to harm him it would have done so then so I wouldn't worry about it, just don't give him anymore.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • We boil hot dogs here. The microwave makes them taste funny to me
    Maureen-MD

    Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • Just another reason we don't eat hotdogs in my house. ;) Really though, that is odd that they would spark, have you heard back from the company yet as to why this might be happening?
    Peajewel

    Answer by Peajewel at 12:23 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • m-avi---- i did look it up online and i realize now that it is normal for things like hot dogs to do that. just was scared because it sparked and caught on fire. i will no longer cook hot dogs in the microwave and next time i am buying better hot dogs lol. just scary to know that something like that was eaten by me and my son
    djanowski775

    Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 4:26 AM on Sep. 19, 2010