Would you vote for someone in office who was a Wiccan, Buddhist, or Muslim?

Just curious. It seems like in this country, in order to run it, you have to be Christian or any religion that involves Jesus and/or God. So I'm just wondering if anyone would vote for someone in office who seemed the best one for the job, but is part of the religious groups mentioned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• if i thought they were the best one for the job, yes.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If they were right for the job..
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Give me an example of a candidate. That's the only way I'd know if I'd vote for them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• it would totally depend on where they stood on issues i was passionate about. if we didn't see eye-to-eye, then no.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Without hesitation--as long as the candidate didn't make a big issue of his/her faith. There was a candidate in my area recently who was running ads about how he believes we should "return our country to its Judeo-Christian roots". He needed say no more; he would never get my vote, simply because I think it is very inappropriate to try to sway votes based on one's personal beliefs.  Besides, that statement showed a poor understanding of why our nation was founded and the fact that our Founders took great care to avoid mentioning faith or books of faith when constructing our Constitution.

It would be best of the candidates just left religion out of politics.  Period.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• As long as they're right for the job and can do it without letting their religion influence their decisions, then absolutely. Then again, I say the same thing about Christians or any other religions; there's separation of church and state for a reason.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It depends how much of an affect their religion had on their goals/plans for operating this country. There are a few ideals in a couple of those religions that I don't really agree with and wouldn't want integrated into our government. I wouldn't NOT vote for someone of those religions, it would just depend on the person as well, just like anyone who runs for office.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• someone's religious belief is personal, so if they had the ideas I was looking for in a candidate than I would give them my vote

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• – collapse
    No, I wouldn't.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 11:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Example and hypathetical: Say Lincoln were alive today, Knowing what you know about him, would you still vote for him if he admitted he was a Wiccan, Buddhist or Muslim?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Sep. 19, 2010