Rice cereal in my baby's bottle???

My mother in law and my youngest sister also a mother of 3. Both of them keep trying to get me to start feeding me barely 4 mp. old daughter this way. She weighs 15lbs 10 oz. but my pediatrcian says she's healthy and perfectley fiine

cdesersa

Asked by cdesersa at 12:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't do it. You don't want to do it so don't. Tell them that you grew the baby and you are going to make the feeding choices.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:52 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• dont do it! its food meaning it is meant to be eatn not drank. also if they are telling you that it will help the baby sleep longer this is a myth.
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• no no no!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i did it with both my kids... and idk where it says its a myth, but it worked for my kids..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i never did it so therefore, i dont think its ok but some people have thier ways of doing things and if you think its not needed then dont start it, i heard its bad to start feeding a baby its food from a bottle instead of using the good ol' fashion spoon and bowl.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Go with your gut...she's your baby.

However, I did put some in with my DD's bottles to help fatten her up and help her be full. She loved it and it helped. I know lots of moms that use it, and no harm has come from it.
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 1:00 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It can kill your baby. No, it won't always kill them, but even the slight possibility isn't worth any supposed benefits (sleeping longer). A baby's tummy is not developed enough to consume solids until 6 months....sure, one can say "my baby ate solids at 2 months and was fine" but how do you really know everything that is going on in their body? My mother gives good advice and I value her opinion, but her youngest child is 24...A WHOLE LOT can change/be discovered in 24 years!
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:36 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Food in the bottle is never recommended. It is a choking hazard and can lead to obesity. If you feel you MUST feed her do it by spoon. It is best to wait until she is 6 months to start. Google: rice cereal in formula. It should lead you to lots of reasons why not to put it in the bottle.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:41 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My sons pediatrician recommended rice cereal in a bottle because he has GERDS and he is 3 months..but its your baby so your choice..
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:26 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• dont believe the hype either way...its not necessary but not its not poison either. i started putting it in both my kids bottles around 3-4 mo to help keep them full longer. most people i know do this. if you're not comfortable with it though, then dont do it. it's certainly not necessary, really more a matter of preference.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 2:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2010