should i take him to the dr.

my 2month old has been sounding congested seems like he is struggling to breath a little and he has had a temp average og 99 my df says relax will see how he does tomorrow should i listen or take him in?

natasha86

Asked by natasha86 at 1:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 99 isn't a bad temp, you can try to aspirate and see if the helps the congestion and run a cool mist humidifier to help with that. If you don't have a humidifier run a hot shower and sit in the steamy bathroom for 15-20 minutes with your LO. It doesn't sound like an emergency situation, but I would call the doc on monday and see what they say.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:08 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If you are worried and it will make you feel better, then go. The ER is full of germs. So if he has a small cold coming on, the trip might make it worse. Does your doc have an after hours line? I'd call that first.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:09 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i agree with the first 2 posters, also you can use some saline drops in the nose to loosen the mucus then use the bulb snot sucker. the hot shower mist works good too, but you want to make sure your lil one doesn't get too hot, babies have a harder time regulating their body temps. his temp sounds ok right now but if it gets any higher take him in. also prop his head up while sleeping by putting a pillow under his crib matress. you can also have him sleep in his swing. the prop will help him breathe easier while sleeping.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 1:29 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Being that he is only two months old, i would be a little worried, especially if he seems to be struggling to breath a little. I suggest calling your pediatricians after hours number and see what he/she says. I hope he starts feeling better soon!
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 2:35 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• just suck out his nose and mouth with the bulb and have him sleep elevated you can also do saline nose drops and steam
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:49 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Trust me as I had a similar issue- ER doctors and nurses do not have as much experience with babies as they should, they will tell you there is not much they can do and send you out with some anti-biotic "just in case" and it's possible you LO is just going thru some minor allergies due to the season change. Talk to your LO's doc
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 3:01 AM on Sep. 19, 2010