How many have had the "shingles"? Did you know you cannot get them if you haven't had the chickenpox first?

thismamacooks

Asked by thismamacooks at 1:20 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Health

• I think that is probably the most misunderstood part of the current vaccination
    program. It is a preventive measure, like washing hands. It is NOT a guarantee
    by any means, and there are risks to introducing immunity to the system by
    artificial means.

Our 10 year old has never had CP, but the remainder of use had it when we were
    young children. As his parents, we will have to decide what sort of protection
    we want to offer him. My inkling is to have them perform a antibody titer for
    CP.....but even if he shows immunity he is still at risk because his chances of
    a natural booster from exposure are extremely rare because of the vaccination
    program. It is not an easy decision to make!!!

sorry for it being so long and in the end there is some anti-vaccination sentiment but hopefully you all get the gist of What causes Shingles. :) Good Night.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:53 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had shingles last winter. My doctor at the time told me that it was a form of measles which would make sense now. My pregnancy blood work says I'm not immune to measles.... However, I asked my gyno about the shingles and if I was immune to measles would I have gotten them? and HE told me that shingles are actually a type of herpes! He said shingles are brought on usually by stress. He also explained that they are not herpes simplex though (or sexually transmitted) He really didn't explain much more than that though :S
    Sonnyswife

Answer by Sonnyswife at 1:31 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Oh ya, and I was shocked about the herpes thing when he told me that because I don't have herpes and have never had a cold sore in my life.... Thats why he explained its a different kind, and yes if you've had chicken pox then you can easily get shingles if the situation is right.
    Sonnyswife

Answer by Sonnyswife at 1:33 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Shingles is a form of CHICKEN POX. I have never had shingles but my DH got them at age 32 and my son got it at age 13.
    Here is a great email from a fellow professional that might explain a few things.

One of the reasons we are seeing a sharp increase in the incidence of shingles,
    and why there is now a shingles vaccine that is suggested for all those 65 and
    older is because of the Chicken Pox vaccination program.

Here is why (and this pertains to ALL vaccinated illnesses such as Pertussis
    (whooping cough) mumps, measles and the like)....

When a child contracts a disease, such as CP, those around that child who have
    antibodies to the disease exhibit an immune response. So, if my child has CP
    (or pertussis, or mumps etc) and I care for my child, and my child was around
    her teacher while contagious, and we visited her grandparents too, then me, the
    teacher, the grandparents and anyone else we c
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• came into contact with who had
    antibodies to the disease would have an increase in antibody production in an
    effort for the body to protect itself from a reoccurrence of the disease.

This, in effect, is a booster response, and is necessary for lifetime immunity.
    This booster effect keeps the immunity active as long as the immune system is
    strong.

The vaccine program removed the natural booster effect of many vaccinated
    diseases.

We used to think that vaccines provided lifetime immunity. It was egotistical
    of us! Virus and bacteria are living substances that want to continue to live
    and therefore adapt beyond our vaccination technology, growing stronger and
    learning how to defeat our attempt to stop them.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:51 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Even with a successful
    vaccination program where 100% of the population was vaccinated, we would
    eventually see a resurgence of the disease as it learned to mutate around our
    efforts and infect the host environment.

Just as any other immune response, that booster effect is necessary for the body
    to remain immune. This is a fact with either vaccinated or natural immunity.

By so greatly reducing the incidence of spontaneous CP in the community by
    vaccination, we removed the booster effect for those who acquired the disease.

Eventually, our immunity wanes and we encounter the disease in our environment
    and get sick. We have seen this occur with Pertussis, Mumps, Measles, and
    Rubella where the vaccinated population has an outbreak.
    Roadfamily6now

• So was invented the vaccine booster program. However, medical science is just
    now beginning to understand the concepts behind mutation of disease and
    vaccination of the population. (this is also true with the use of antibiotics
    and the emergence of antibiotic resistant bacteria).

Shingles is an immune response. It is the once dormant remnant of the CP
    antibodies that emerge as the immune system wanes. Shingles are brought on by
    stress (physical/emotional) which decreases immune response.

An interesting phenomenon occurred with the CP vaccine program prior to the
    booster program being initiated where young adults (as young as 19) were being
    diagnosed with Shingles because there was no immune boost within their community
    contact, the CP antibodies waned, the immune system became stressed, shingles
    appeared.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:52 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The moral of the story is: we know (for now) that vaccine peak immune protection
    is within 3-5 years of the vaccine and the immunity wanes somewhere around 8
    years post vaccine leaving the immune system susceptible to acquiring the
    illness or in the case of CP, having a shingles outbreak.

So, if you choose to vaccinate, understand that your child (or you) can still
    get the illness!!!! We have all been vaccinated against pertussis and the whole
    family came down with it with the Chicago outbreak in 2004, including our 3 year
    old!!!

Vaccines are prevention only and that prevention must adapt and be kept current
    to provide an immune response that might prevent illness....MIGHT...not
    WILL...MIGHT.
    Roadfamily6now

• I have never gotten shingles but my mother got it a year or 2 ago. And yes I knew about the connection with chicken pox and also to Herpes. But then again, I went to nursing school lol
    smileyashmommy

Answer by smileyashmommy at 3:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010