How many of you had a epidural? What were the pros and cons? Would you do it again?

thismamacooks

Asked by thismamacooks at 1:30 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had the epidural with my second labor (first was a c-section) and i had no problems with it.
    However, I chose to have a drug free birth with my other labors and the truth is, doing it all by yourself is so freaken amazing!!! You will feel triumphant!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:44 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i had an epidural with both of my kids, if i got prego again i would have another epidural. i have no cons on getting one. it makes it soo much easier! you can still feel the pressure, but nearly pain free. i think it is definately worth it. there is nothing natural about the pain of a "natural" birth.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 1:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had an epidural with my second son, I felt pressured into it, and I regret that I got it every day. I still have back pain at the site they put the needle in. There are definite risks not only for Mom, but baby as well, although I don't have any of that info handy.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:35 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had an Epi with both my kids.... in both cases it sped up labor b/c I was stalled out. It was awesome... I'd do it again if I was having more kids. Honestly if I hadn't had one with my first baby there would NOT have been a 2nd baby!!! I didn't have any issues either time, I was very well informed - my BFF is an anesthesiologist. IT was the right choice for me, it was the only thing in my birth plan that I had in BOLD RED print!! I don't feel bad, or defeated.... I have two wonderful kids and I was able to focus on them while in labor and not on dealing with ridiculous amounts of pain the whole time.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:08 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have only had it once. Long story short with everything that happened during pregnancy and during labor. I had one. After an hour I was very upset at myself with the knowledge I have about them. But my mind at that time was not in that state of mind. I was had an upset stomach for 3 hours. then puked the rest of the time. I could not tell when and how to push. I had back labor and could not get up an move to change the pressure I was getting. It stopped my labor. So then I had to have poticin to get it going again. I hated not being able to feel my legs and move. I was in the same position for over 7 hrs. then after baby come I had to have the nurse and hubby help me move for the next couple of hours. Having to have a catheter to pee and then a bed pan after baby. I regret every day that I had one . I will never ever again have one.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had an epi hated it went natural with my 2nd it hurt but what a joy
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:42 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I wanted one, but it didn't "take". So I went thru the pregnancy feeling every bit of pain. I don't think I'd have an epidural if I ever got pregnant again. I don't think I'd like the feeling of being numb. But I would have no problem with other forms of pain management.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:00 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had three epis..the first was good felt presuure and it help speed up the pregnancy. the second one was awesome and made things so much easier. the last was anightmare. It still hurts where they stuck me and the damn thing didn't even work. it numbed my chest and made feel liek I couldnt breathe and lets just say when your in labor its better to have the lower half numb...I felt his 9lb 2oz self come through and it was no picnic.
    conweis

Answer by conweis at 4:37 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No Cons. Would have it in a heartbeat.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2010