Can 2 brown eyed parents have a blue, green, gray eyed child?

I have brown eyes, my husbands is either hazel or greenish, it changes. i remember hearing that if a parent has brown eyes, their child will too. is this true?

Kainalu55

Asked by Kainalu55 at 2:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My husband and I both have brown eyes and my oldest has brown and my baby is a hazel color but he still little to confirm :)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:22 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It depends on which recessive genes you carry. If you both have the recessive for blue, green or gray it's possible.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:29 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My grandma has brown eyes and also my grandfather. One oy my aunt and one of my uncle have hazel eyes.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 2:32 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• it depend on genetic the baby can get a recessive color like green or blue
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Try this...

http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html

It is a really cool eye color calculator.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:40 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My husband has hazel and I have brown and our 17mo has a deep blue... DH's grandmother had blue eyes just like them. Our 6mo has brown eyes. Genes are crazy
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 2:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If at least one parent is carrying the recessive gene for blue eyes, then yes. It may be that BOTH parents have the be carriers of the recessive gene, though. Having blue eyes is a recessive trait, brown eyes are a dominant trait. It's mostly chance, honestly, and it's really hard to tell whether it's likely or not. It is entirely possible, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:56 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• no one in my family has blue eyes that i know of. my grandma had green. everyone else has brown.
    Kainalu55

Comment by Kainalu55 (original poster) at 3:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Brown eye is a dominant trait gene. Blue is a recessive gene trait. So, if anywhere in your direct family line history (not talking aunts, uncles, etc - strictly child to parent to grandparent line) had blue eyes, etc, even if nobody else in that "line" down to you for generations had it, you could still be carrying that gene, it's just being "dominated" by the brown eye gene.

So, even if your mom and dad both had brown eyes, if your mom carried the blue eye trait, then she passed that to you, your dad passed the brown to you, and you have brown eyes, then you could pass the blue eye gene to your kid. If your dh has the same sort of gene combo (has a recessive gene in there somewhere in the mix) then passes that on, then your kid could have blue eyes.

Same with hair color, etc...

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:07 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I should add that it could be a gene from literally like 4, 5, 6 (or more) generations back. The only time that this is a good indicator is if both parents have recessive genes. So, like two parents with blond hair and blue eyes are not going to have a child that has black hair and brown eyes. BUT, two people with brown or black hair and brown eyes could very easily have a child with blond hair and blue eyes.

I have blond hair and blue eyes. My dh has brown hair and brown eyes. Our kids have brown hair and hazel eyes. I could have grand kids and great grandkids with brown hair and brown eyes, but a great great grandkid could get my blue eyes....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:11 AM on Sep. 19, 2010