Rice cereal and breastmilk to help reflux??

I know its a controversial discussion but I need serious answers/experience...my son is 3 months and has bad reflux..the doctor recommend cereal in a bottle of breast milk and prescribed meds. I dont want to give him the meds because he is so little and I dont feel right about it but I do want to try the cereal but just dont know because again he is so little..he is 15 1/2 lbs and sometimes cries when he spits up. Im worried of him choking on thicken milk since he chokes on his spit up now. Just not sure what to do..my first boy didnt have this problem so Im lost :(

socalikim

Asked by socalikim at 3:15 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sorry you and your baby are going through this. My daughter had reflux and I ended up giving her the meds. I didn't like the idea of doing that either, but I tried the cereal thing and it didn't help her at all. The meds made a huge difference for her.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 3:37 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I agree with the mom above me(Digi)... My son had reflux and we tried the rice cereal in the formula and didnt work, we tried the meads and didnt work then our dr made us try the enfamil AR formula and OMG it helped so much. If you are on wic since they only do similac we got an RX from the pediatrician for Similac RS which is the same stuff. Its basically rice cereal in the formula but not as thick and has other stuff in it as well and it helped with my sons reflux a lot. Good luck!
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 4:41 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• my daughter had reflux bad due to other medical condition and we used a crib sling to hold her in an angled position we also raised the headboard of her crib to keep her angled the sling prevented her from sliding down and being injured the angle helped keep the head higher to prevent the vomiting.
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 8:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• rice cereal and neosure formula helped my tot when he was a baby
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The amylase in human milk digests rice cereal before it even gets into babies tummy, so it really won't do much of anything... How often are you feeding? Have you looked at other possible causes... overactive letdown, allergies? There are many things you can do while nursing to help prevent relfux. Cereal shouldn't be used, and meds should be a last resort. Sounds like he's growing wonderfully, so him keeping enough milk down isn't an issue.

Check out this link from kelly mom: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• PERSONALLY, with my son, I chose the meds over a bottle and cereal. It made a big difference, and we were able to continue to exclusively breast feed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• He nurses 2-3 hours for 15-25 minutes..i thought it was overactive letdown at first and did what I could do to help that but it didnt make a difference...today he only spit up alittle bit after feedings and I havent had any wheat today..my diet consists of alot of wheat. Im wondering if that could be a cause..we will see..thanks for the answers:)
    socalikim

Comment by socalikim (original poster) at 2:51 AM on Sep. 20, 2010